Questions about deep water culture hydroponic systems

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by MrRickey, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Hi this is my first thread on this site. I am about to start my first grow season indoors. I will be growing in an insulated shed that will have heaters throughout the winter. I am going to be growing with DWC system. I have a few questions.

1. I am going to be growing 6-7 plants at a time and I was wondering what would be better to use a bucket DWC system for each plant, or 1-3 Rubbermaid containers with 6 potting holes in each lid. [​IMG] [​IMG]

#2. When growing with DWC system is it possible to grow pot plants with out adding nutrients ?

3. if I use the rubbermaid container idea would one 6in air stone be enough for one bin? or should i add more?

4. more of a grow op question, because i will be growing in an insulated shed in the winter what do you think would be the best idea to get fresh air inside without freezing the inside of the shed?

5. would a 3in hydropot be big enough in a DWC system for a fully grown plant?

2. Ok first question. Build u a dwc system. Individual buckets are a pain in the ass. Not enough room for that many plants in one container. Question 2 no u can't the plants get their food from what u feed them .3 no one per bucket 5 gallon. 4 my guess insulation isn't gonna keep it airtight. See how it acts without an air in . in the winter time. Watch water temp also. No colder than like 60 or real slow plant growth. just built this one [​IMG]

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

3. Hello.. I have been looking into this system as well. Would you suggest having a second bucket to switch the plant out everyweek of biweekly. If building into a rubbermaid tote would you beable to add enough nutrients to last the whole veg cycle or probably not?

Sent from my LG-D852 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. What are you using to insulate your buckets? and in the winter how do you bring in fresh air without freezing your room up ? And so just to make sure i understand correctly you said one airstone per bucket is okay?

5. Yea one airstome a bucket. I have a old house man. I am growing below the attic. I can use a hole in the floor or use the attic above me.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Insulation from Lowes wall insulation

• Like Like x 1
  7. U can see the hole n the floor on the right side of the pic.

8. You're probably going to have to invest some money in a legit unit that does both cooling and heating. One with an external intake fan that pulls fresh air in. Not one of the stand alone units with only an exhaust hose. They just recirculate the air and don't pull in fresh air. If you could find a way to mount a window unit in your shed I think that would be your best bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

9. Also, make sure you're not too dry in there during veg. During flowering you don't have to worry about it as much, but they like a little moisture in the air during veg.

10. Yea I did a test run its still summer basically my humidity was at 35 percent. Ill add a little humidifier before things get going. Woke up this morning and elec was out. Dunno how long but I went to bed at two. Elec back on at noon, clones look ok but the bottoms got brown. Dunno if they gonna make it or not . what a start jesus

11. Its not shed brother its an old house that's the room below the attic. I only grow close to winter time. I am adding another vent and a fan in from the attic soon.

12. That was in response to MrRickey and his fresh air question.

13. Aw my bad lol I didn't see that part

14. No worries bud. Nice setup btw

15. Ty very much . waiting on roots and im off

16. one of my outside plants she's doing well [​IMG]

17. one other question i have is if i need fresh air coming into my insulated shed do i need to have fresh air constantly pumping in ? Like can I open the window for 10 min each day or every other day and would that be enough fresh air?

18. Nope u need constant air brother

19. The fresher the better. She will thank you for it.