questions about COB leds

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by snoopunit, May 28, 2017.

1. #1 snoopunit, May 28, 2017
    Last edited: May 28, 2017
    I'm interested in DIYing my own light fixture for my flower tent. I'm pretty sure I understand what i'm doing, but i'd like to run it by some of you.

For my LED's I'm thinking of using a combination of
    100W 2800-3000K/8000-9000L and 100W 6000-6500K/8000-9000L
    probably looking at about 12-14 in total. so 6-7 of each.
    For power, I'll use 2x 3000mA (Constant Current Output) 21V-34V (In85-277V AC-DC) drivers.

still haven't decided on how to cool it. thinking I might go low-budget watercooling, but i'm afraid to have water near all this electricity.

all I really need now is something to frame it with
    let me know what you all think

2. Your links aren't showing up. The new thing is QB panels. There's a few people who where previously growing with cobs and tried the QB's. They're switching.

Comparable performance to cobs but way cheaper per watt.
    260W QB LED Kit

3. wow, that's unfortunate. anyways they were 2900k-3400k and 6000k-6500k 100w chips.
    I'll check out that link, thanks.

4. It's not that unfortunate. Better or as good of lights selling for $285 for 260 watts. Almost $1 a watt. Good for the consumer. Cobs were crazy expensive.

5. Idk man, that kit's almost $300. great build quality by the looks of it though. I was thinking more along the lines of building a fixture that can be upgraded with more lights later, The 100w COB chips I was looking at were about $10/each and the drivers were $30/each. Heatsink would be another $15/each. Frame it with $20 of aluminum angle.

That's ~$250 for a fixture with enough light to max one driver at around 800W if I'm not missing anything.

• Like Like x 1

6. This is what gave me the idea.

7. What $30 driver can you get that can do 800 watts?

8. I have to step in now. Please do some more research about leds before you start building any light.
    SAM_1839.JPG SAM_1840.JPG

9. @REALSTYLES could you elaborate?
    @tbone well thats why i came here to ask. from what ive read on the web it looks like the driver I found is capable of max 270v at 3000ma

Sent from my SM-G930P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. If you want to make a light I can help you with the parts and assembly.

11. can you link the driver?
    have you watched the growmau5 diy cob videos on youtube? that's a must for anyone diy'ing cobs imo.

At this point I would also recommend quantumboards over cobs. If you are paying 10$ a cob you are paying for such a cheap price by losing efficiency. The great thing about high-end cobs is the crazy good efficiency they have. When you start getting cheaper cobs you lose alot of efficiency compared to high end top bin stuff. I'm talking like a 20-30% light difference...not 3-4 % or something. To be able to get lighting as efficient as quantum boards for around a dollar a watt is just crazy good. Equivalent quality cob setups (cxb3590CD) are gonna be closer to 2-$2.5 a watt. It's important to understand that I'm talking about very high efficiency 'watts' which have far more lumens/ppf then the same wattage of a lesser quality light. Some of my cree cobs are getting over 200 lumens a watt, as compared to a cheaper cob, ran at high power, might be getting closer to 120 lumens per watt, (and that's only IF you can actually find spec sheets on cheap cobs, which you usually can't) That' a pretty huge difference.

12. What is your 200 lm/w setup and what bin and what are you driving them at?