Questioning our brain & meaning of life

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Lexylotus, May 18, 2017.

1. So to start off, after I started smoking I couldn't stop thinking about this (I don't anymore because these thoughts are just consuming) how much do we really know about our brain or anxiety and how do we know if it's true? A bit deep I know. I can't stop questioning if everything we learn about the brain exists like our neurotransmitters and other things. I feel like I'm going crazy. I've developed an anxiety disorder over a couple of years ago so I know I have it but I can't stop questioning our brains and how it works. Even when I look it up, "there's little we know about our brains" which freaks me out more.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. You are right. There is a lot that we don't know about it, but we are learning more and more faster and faster. Personally, I find it intriguing and look forward to new discoveries and especially improvements.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  3. I am assuming the short term memory loss kicked in somewhere between the title and the post content.

Oddly I am not all the interested in how the brain works. Regardless of how well I understand it, mine works just fine.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Use it or lose it. The brain is a muscle so flex what you know and discover what you don't.

• Like Like x 4
  5. the brain isnt something

6. Yeah. Get all that thinking in before you aren't allowed to. And I'm not talking 1984 style resocializing. Naw. That was made to create the extreme to which everyone will forever compare what a dystopian dictatorship would look like. We obviously are not in anything like that. But I'm talking about being pounded daily with so much media and bullshit that you won't be thinking you'll just be a rat in a maze responding to introduced stimuli. So. Get on that thinking wagon. Cuz we need some serious fucking ideas before it's all gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 2
  7. I see a lot of this already in society today. It explains a lot of the hyperagressive, void of logic behavior.

8. Advertising with flashy billboards and electronic signs most likely induces mass epilepsy and agoraphobia. Places like New York City and Tokyo must be hell for those who can't handle the barrage of stimulus to the brain, which explains hyperaggressive behaviors like the belief that a gun is self defense when everyone knows a projectile fired is purely offensive killing strategy. It pays to be dumb and obedient not curious and bold.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. D'fuck?

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. My same reaction, lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Let me get this straight.

You're scared of Brains. At least your not a zombie. Get someone to eat or suck your private part and maybe that'll change. I'm working on the same mission right now.

You're scared of Guns. At least your not a school shooter. Go to a shooting range and fire a fire arm and then come talk about how guns are only for offense, or go hunting and catch some game. I'm working on the same.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

So to wrap it up we all just need sex and food.

12. Sure. From dying versus death, understanding physiological limits imposes fear. Knowing bodily capabilities induces confidence, which is not to be misconstrued as cockiness. In a world where antics such as name calling and behavioral disputes cause the flick of a finger to irrevocably take away life, justice is the whim of the judge.

13. OP. You could think of all these anxious thoughts as energy that you can control and focus somewhere else. Even if it's overwhelming, just focus your attention on something you love. If there's nothing you love, you're nothing but a dark void anyway and does it really matter?
    I had a full-blown anxiety disorder (and a tiny bit paranoid-schizoid) for 2 years after an LSD trip gone horribly wrong, with long periods of psychosis. Even CBT (cognitive-behavioral therapy) was like firefighting a burning forest with nothing but a bottle of vodka... Nah, but tbh, it did help for a while, but was not a solution. What I did was to focus my attention to everything else other than my mind. I got great comfort from reading stuff from authors like Charles Bukowski, going to the gym (very hard with anxiety at first), and the such; anything to keep my focus elsewhere, at all times. And if you're not the reading type, get a skateboard or something. Just don't get stuck in the limbo.
    After a while (3 months maybe) it got better, and is virtually all gone now. I'm happier than I remember being in a long time.

Or just complain about it. It's your choice.
    As for the meaning of life: survive and thrive.