Question to Quality GLASS PIPE Blowers.

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by silvertoker, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. #1 silvertoker, Jan 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2010
    Who Figures out all the equations for each pipe you blow.

It seems with hand blown glass there is so many variances shape, size, color,thickness and contaminates that each and every pipe would have its own equation.

There is a science to annealing.

Annealing (glass)
    Annealing
    is a process of slowly cooling glass to relieve internal stresses after it was formed. The process may be carried out in a temperature-controlled kiln known as a Lehr.[1]

Glass which has not been annealed is liable to crack or shatter when subjected to a relatively small temperature change or mechanical shock.

Annealing glass is critical to its durability. If glass is not annealed, it will retain many of the thermal stresses caused by quenching and significantly decrease the overall strength of the glass.

The glass is heated until the temperature reaches a stress-relief point, that is, the annealing temperature (also called annealing point) at a viscosity, η, of 1013 Poise = 1012 Pa·s, at which the glass is still too hard to deform, but is soft enough for the stresses to relax.

The piece is then allowed to heat-soak until its temperature is even throughout. The time necessary for this step varies depending on the type of glass and its maximum thickness.

The glass is then slowly cooled at a predetermined rate until its temperature is below the strain point (η = 1014.5 Poise).

Following this, the temperature can safely be dropped to room temperature at a rate limited by the heat capacity, thickness, thermal conductivity, and thermal expansion coefficient of the glass.

After the annealing process the material can be cut to size, drilled or polished.

At the annealing point (η = 1013 Poise) stresses relax within several minutes, while at the strain point (η = 1014.5 Poise) stresses relax within several hours.[2] Stresses that are still present below the strain point are permanent.

2. It seems like every glass blower I've ever seen don't properly anneal.

This is very interesting.

I can't wait to hear some answers.

GREAT POST :hello:

3. yay for wikipedia!
    ive always wanted to try glass blowing, i dont really know where to start tho.

4. OP did my own search on annealing.

I found to really see these microscopic fractures you need a polorascope.

I'm not sure if any of glass is safe now.

Don't seem worth the risk.

I watched a vid on youtube on annealing glass.

Very interesting never heard of a polorascope
    .:smoking:

5. Still waiting for an answer FROM A GLASS BLOWER seems none of the pro's want to speak up.

Just do those little math problems for me and I might believe certain pipes are annealed properly.

I'll check back real soon.

UNTIL THEN NO GLASS FOR ME NO WAY!:eek:

6. Where's trikky when you need him?

7. is this also true for glass dildos-

8. You are going to piss off alot of glass users and glass blowers *
    sellers etc* no one wants this info out there * bad 4 bizzz"
    as true and compex as it is-i wish i never new its stuck in my head now
    i also been checking glass at local smoke shops and they were drilled!!

9. [quote name='DR.GREEN_BUD420']You are going to piss off alot of glass users and glass blowers *
    sellers etc* no one wants this info out there * bad 4 bizzz"
    as true and compex as it is-i wish i never new its stuck in my head now
    i also been checking glass at local smoke shops and they were drilled!![/QUOTE

We are a family of stoners.

No one is going to look out for us except us.

I really don't intend on making anyone mad.

I don't believe any of these issues were done intentionally.

Like I've said before my friend A GLASS BLOWER WHO BLOWS PIPES told me all this out of concern.

He told me in a glass blowing class annealing glass is taught at an artist level.

Witch is mostly visual and basic mechanical sturdiness.

This is a valid concern. :D

10. I'm pretty sure almost all glassblowers use the kiln correctly.
    I don't see what all the fuss is about.

11. Like I said at the artist level sure.

But annealing to handle extreme temperature change is a science.

That's why pyrex is scientifically designed to handle heat like boiling water or stove top.

It takes many special property's to do so.(wiki glass ingredients)

12. ok in my opinion bowls are the worst i only use a bowl when i need to roach a blunt for me i only smoke blunts and sometimes bongs. but yes ive seen a bowl brake in half before with 2 grams in it and it sucks dont buy bowls unless u just like them and ur ready for them to break

13. I agree Blunt's

I'll take tobacco over tiny glass shards.

Really sucks I've got so much glass. :mad:

14. #15 sinsemillaplease, Jan 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2010
    Dude you're just blowing smoke at this point. You're reminding me of morning network television.

You know Good Morning America and the like where the hosts are mostly women and all the programming is targeted at easily frightened stay at home moms. The kind that constantly regurgitate sketchy or blatantly obvious and unnecessary statistics from new and often times unpublished (Read: Unverified) research articles. Is Contact Football TOO Dangerous For Kids? How More Sex Can Save Your Life. Hot New Diet Backed By Clinical Trials!

If the quality American glass many of us used wasn't annealed correctly they would not last. Its as simple as that. Either it shatters from thermal shock or the slightest touch... It happens so rarely with American made glass that it really isn't a concern. If your looking to buy an import... by all means concern yourself with the annealing of the glass.... but American artists don't cut corners and forsake safety to save time and money to that degree.

15. I believe he has a point and I'm interested in an educated answer not somebody assumptions.

By the way do you blow glass or smoke!

If you don't know positively why even comment were talking about our friends.:rolleyes:

16. At my local headshop, the guy will throw pipes on the ground to show you the sturdiness. I even accidentally dropped the one i bought on the blacktop one time, and all it did was surface crack. Still works great! I'm thinking if those pipes weren't properly treated, i wouldn't still have it today.

17. You Again Douche Bag.:D

18. This topic is retarded- if a glass blower is not doing it right and his shit breaks he dosent get paid plain and simple who the fuck is going to keep buy'n there shit when it breaks for no reason.

Look just dont buy cheap ass china glass that's made by a blower in china that dosent give a shit, just wants his 50cents a hour.
    Personally I could care less what you smoke out of, No wait on second though dont use glass I rather you not if your dumb enough to think your glass is going to explode on you for no reason.

19. [quote name='ScissorHash']You Again Douche Bag.:D[/QUOTE

Do you have any skills-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.