question(s) on dwc / drip

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by ryan423, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Hi all. I am in my 2nd hydro grow. I have grown with soil for years, but have decieded to give hydro a try.

I got one of the bubbleponics setups from stealth hydro and I am using 1-600w hps light and 1-20w florecent light. (I know I should have built the container myself, but I am rather lazy)

I grew 4 plants with bcuzz nuts about 6 months ago, and they turned out ok. (my setup holds 6 plants).

Now I am in my 2nd grow, and this setup is kind of a mix between and drip system and a dwc system. I am growing in hydroton and 1in rockwool cubes.

The plants are 3 weeks old now and seem to have stopped growing. I have been leaving the drip on 24/7 and lights on 18/6. So my first quesion is:

I figure that is too much watering. Is that correct? I also noticed on the rock wool that there are small white dots everywhere.

I'll try to post some pictures later. I am currently using the pre-measured nuts from stealth hydro, and my plants leaves are currling upward (down by the stems), and turning yellow in the ends. (any advise would be helpfull).

2. tried 24-7 with mine at first, but they got well too soggy.

Changed to a timer that feeds 10 seconds every minute & it's spot on.

U need time for the growmedia to drain off or the plants will drown & rockwool will go mouldy. (like yours is) -
    Move the drippers off the rockwool & have them drip into the clays instead so the roots have to search out feed & let the stems dry off.

u don't mention ph & ec / ppm - have u checked these at all? Have u got calibrated meters? How often do u change solution & what feed are u on?

Apart from the over wetness of the rockwool, it's more than likely that ur problems are caused by too high ph ;)

3. Thanks, the PH is currently at 6.1 and around 300ppm. I have a good disolved solids meter, and I'm just using ph test strips.

I change the solution every 3 weeks, and I actually dont know what feed I'm using now. It is from stealth hydro, and comes in pre-measured (supposed to be ph blanced packs) I just use 1 pack of "grow" nuts, and 1 pack of micro per 23 liters of water, and I am using 3/4 of a pack per 23 liters of water.

Yesterday, I drained 5 liters out and flushed the plants with 5 liters of distilled water with a ph of 6.0.

I also got a timer that allows me to turn the pump off and on every half an hour. So I set it to water / feed for 30 min every 2 hours. I'll post what effect this has and pic's later today.