Question Regarding New Lighting System

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by JohanSmith, Jan 22, 2009.

1. #1 JohanSmith, Jan 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2009
    Hey all,

I have a pretty darn small grow-setup and because of this was not able to install adjustable lighting.

Think two 42-watt CFL's are effective enough @ 12-inches away? I just got an outdoor light-case that I put my big CFL's in (a glass case that you would find holding a light outside your front door).

My logic is that the lights are inside the glass case, away from the edges a bit, and therefore the plant can grow right into the lights w/o getting light burn.

Bueller?

See my journal for pictures.

[EDIT:] Anyone have experience with a 100-watt HPS bulb? It's funny that us beginners clammer to CFL's because their just easier to get, but a 100-watt HPS costs only $20 and I'm assuming it's more effective than 100-watts of CFLS. Anyone?

-JS

2. #2 FuckingClassy, Jan 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2009
    i'd say if you can get those pots on top of something to get them closer to the lights to definately do it. The closer they are to the light, the more they'll take in & grow. With them that far away, its not using the lights to their full potential and can cause the plants to stretch. You can get the bulbs within inches from the plant & not burn em too.

Hope that helps you out man!

EDIT: the hps bulb is 20 bucks, yeah, but the ballast you need to actually use the bulb in is like 60 bucks at home depot. I wish you could just use those in normal sockets, but you need a specific ballast for it, hence another reason why us beginners use cfls :D

3. Ah, interesting, I wasn't thinking that a 100-watt HPS would require a ballast -- I was thinking I'd just screw it in to one of my sockets (instead of the 42-watt).

I haven't looked much into the ballast systems yet. So it seems, CFL's prevail.

Also, that's pretty funny that, (A) I didn't think of putting a box underneath the plant and, (B) I've even propped them up before. Since I'm new to this, though, it's just not second nature.

Man... A good box to put your plant is hard to come by. Anything better than a box that someone has thought of? Something adjustable?