Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Question regarding dispensaries

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by glasslover420, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Not a medical user, just had a somewhat random question. When you go into a dispensary to buy weed and it has a price on it of $50, do you pay $50 or $50 plus tax?

2. All the ones Ive been to dont charge tax. I believe it has something to do with the fact that they are supposed to be "non profit" (but of course they really aren't) so I'm not sure if the establishment pays the state a "sales tax" on the marijuana. There may be some other taxing involved there but I dont know for sure.. All I know is I pay in cash and I pay whatever the price is without tax.

3. I've never paid taxes at a dispensary

4. It really depends on the dispensary and the location. In Los Angeles some clubs have it built into their price, others will let you know ahead of time. My favorite club does charge tax unfortunately because they want to ensure that they are 100% compliant with the current set of laws.

5. I'm a patient in Colorado and I get charged taxes at all the dispensaries in this state. Its really helped the general acceptance of medical marijuana in our state because its accumulating a bunch of tax money. For example, in my home town which had 2 dispensaries open at the beginning of 2009, tax for health businesses was up 240% from the previous year. I'm lookin at one of my receipts right now and i got a quarter of Hindi Kush for $105 and the sales tax was $6.54. So I guess it just depends on where you are.