Question on when to harvest

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by hillelfood, Jun 20, 2010.

1. If your seeds say 8 weeks flowering, do you count from the switch to 12/12, The first sight of white hairs, or do you start from when you have decent little crowns.

2. I was wondering the same thing. So far, until someone tells me otherwise, I'm just gonna say 60 days from pistils. Then I may wait another week just to be safe. Apparently there's a strong tendency to want to harvest early, which I'm trying to fight right now.

Maybe an expert can help us both.

3. Sorry, no expert here, but i do know a little about deciding when to harvest. You look at the color/ opacity of the trichombes (the little pods containing thc which cover the leaves/ flowers late into the flowering stage). The trichs start out clear (transparent w/ no color), then fade to a cloudy whitish, then start to turn amber/ orange. Most people harvest when they have a good amount of amber trichombes.

Now, generally (if i remember correctly), a higher percentage of amber trichs means the high you get from smoking the finished product is more intense. It is also more of a rough, painful smoke. BUT... if you harvest when there are fewer amber trichs (mostly cloudy at this time), the high will be less intense, but it will be a much smoother, more pleasant smoke.

I'm not sure of the exact percentages of cloudy/ amber trichs you need to get whatever kind of high/ smoothness ratio, so you'll need expert help on that.

good luck, and hope this was helpful!!

P.S. If you are reading this, and you know it's wrong, please, rip me apart/ tell me, etc. I need to know for sure of this info as well lol.

4. Well i harvested todAY AND IT SEEMS perfectly ready.
    Only problem is that I lost a lot of my ud to spidermites. Fukin shits colonizes the innerbuds. A good half my plant went to shits today.
    I learned my lesson though. Never make outdoor buds bud if the seasons not rite. Plant are not ment to bud in the middle of summer.

5. lol no it isn't man. i tried an out door plant. you need to harvest in october. that sucks man. at our farm we have had plenty of spider mite problembs in the warehouse. pyrethrum is the best organic pesticide for spider mites and it is 100% organic. i sprayed down our bloom rooms with this stuff and comback the next day the spider mites were CRYSTALIZED dude! lmfao. its kind of funny the fda only wants you to use like 6% pyrethrum in your insecticides lol but our suppliers gives the dispensaries here in colorado 20%!!! so use that stuff on your mites and watch them crystalize!

6. This is how I know when the girls are ready:D:smoke:
    you can pick up a trichrome reader a a grow supply for a few bucks. It's basically a small magnifying lens with a light, but you can use most any magnifying lens. Good luck:smoke:

7. I go for mostly all cloudy trichs with a few amber. Some strains will never turn all amber and alot will mold before they all turn amber.