Question on short harvest time.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Walk it Off, Mar 31, 2009.

1. #1 Walk it Off, Mar 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2009
    Im looking to buy some seeds to grow and i came across some called lowryder 2. It says that its ready for harvest 9 weeks from seed. This seems really short to me but know nothing about growing. Doesnt it usually take around 8 months for a plant to be ready for harvest? If these are really ready in 9 weeks then im definitely buying them.

edit: Also is there some kind of disadvantage to having a plant that is ready for harvest in a short amount of time?

2. 9 weeks from seed? i think you mean 9 weeks from flower. that means once you switch the plant to flowering, it will take approximately 9 weeks till harvest

3. nah man scroll down to where it says harvest. It says 9 weeks from seed.

http://www.marijuana-seeds.nl/lowryder_2_seeds.html

4. #4 Legalize.Me, Mar 31, 2009
    thats pretty crazy, i wonder if thats a typo. i havnt heard of anything being ready in 9 weeks from seed...

anyone else?

EDIT:
    actually i take that back [stoner] lol. for some reason i was thinkin 6 weeks, as in just past a month. 9 weeks is possible for a dwarf. thats over 2 months

5. how much would a dwarf like that yield after 9 weeks?

6. not sure. i dont have experience with them.

im sure someone will be able to answer that. you might also find a grow journal with someone who has grown them and you can get an idea from that

7. #7 Legalize.Me, Mar 31, 2009
    double post

8. Yeah dudes, lowryders are awesome.
    I got some on the go right now.
    Google lowryder # 2...
    you'll be amazed...

9. "Also is there some kind of disadvantage to having a plant that is ready for harvest in a short amount of time?"

Fuck yes! there is a BIG problem with these strains.

It is called always having to buy new seeds cause you cant take clones.

I am way suss on this "new thing". i figure it is really shonky horticulture dressed up as the new big thing. I just do not see any advantage, except for the dude selling the seeds.

Listen up: ANY strain will give you buds in nine weeks. You don't need a magical mutant dwarf strain or whatever. If you take ANY strain, take some cuttings, get the roots going in the first week, and throw them into 12/12 flower cycle, you will get ripe buds in 8 weeks, making a 9 week cycle.

And the plants wont be very big, but they will be the same size as the magical mutant dwarf variety. And they will be just as nugety as the light source you are using, and just as healthy as your nute and air etc etc.

BUT..... you don't have to buy any seeds from anyone to do this.

All you need is a big mother plant, and a cuttings box.

In holland, lots of folks take cuttings, mega amounts of them, and they do exactly this. The great advantage of this method is that you get a true "SOG". Not only is each bud packed right up tight against the surrounding buds, there is no difference in height between the tops, meaning you lose nothing because of shading.

This is true SOG, and if you think about it it will always blow away ScrOG, for yield per square foot.

But the big advantage is that by growing this way, you save room on height. You can pack several trays on shelves, stacking up your square meterage and seriously increasing the usable light space per room.

There are other advantages, too. You don't use so much electricity because you are always on 12 hrs, an you get a very predictable yield. Also, your trimming is much, much easier. You can run a blade across the base of a tray at the right height, and all the little heads pop off with zero stem. then you just pop these nuggets on a screen to dry, and when the leaves have dried but the nuggets are still wet, you roll em around on the right gauge of mesh screen, and the leaves break off and the pollen crystals fall through onto another screen. That screen catches the broken leave matter, and the pure crystals fall through onto a collection tray.

If you cruise the dam these days, you'll see a lot of this pollen for sale. This is why. In the old days, the polen was the growers smoke, but with the new commercial methods of SOG, it is a by product of trimming, and there is shitload of it.

So that is why these magical mutant dwarf seeds are a crock of shit for the unwary novice. Uncle cynik say NO, and a pox on the people selling this scam.

Basic horticulture should tell you that you can grow ANY seed or cutting into a little flowering bud. You don't need to be buying seeds every crop.

Apart from anything else, the economics of the idea is completely fucked. I have seen these magic dwarf seeds for sale for like 5 bucks each. WTF?:mad:

Why not go out and buy the bud??? One small tree, and all the hassle of growing it, and you can't take clones???

I am gonna meet the guy that invented this marketing scam one day, and he is gonna wonder why the first thing I do is kick him in the nuts.

this idea receives the EPIC FAIL rating.

10. yes, most draws, ala lowrider 2, will be ready within 9 weeks from seed.
    dont expect anything near an oz off them though unless you got proper lighting.

11. theyre handy only because you can grow them in little more space than you need to grow clones.
    you could add 3 shelfs to a regular closet and probably easily grow 6 per shelf. giving you 18 plants in a very small space.if you can just get an oz a plant then 18oz every 2 months isnt bad.
    biggest prob is the price of the seeds. around 50 bucks for 5 or something. so the seeds alone will cost you nearly 200 a time.

12. "theyre handy only because you can grow them in little more space than you need to grow clones."

Uhuh. So explain to me how that works.

It doesn't.

If you take a cutting, it doesn't get any bigger while it roots. And so when it is ready to go, it is the same size as a seedling that is also ready to grow from the same size.

the point is this: ANY plant will go into flower at ANY size, and once it does, it will grow according to the environment it is in (nutrients, air, light intensity etc) until it is flowered.

Now whether you get your little plant from a seed or a clone doesn't matter. It is still going to bud and grow into the same size plant from that point forward.

The issue is that these folks are selling these seeds as if they do something magical by growing into little flowers in 9 weeks. That is total crap. ANY strain can do that. You just root your cutting for a week, and throw it into flower.

Try it, see if I lie. I mean, folks do this. On a grand scale. It is not theory.

13. actually, if your wise about it you wont buy the femmed lowrider seeds but just a normal bag, that way you can hope for a male out of one of em, save the pollen and repollinate 1 of the female plants for an immense amount of FREE seeds. Yes your method of cuttings and clones works, but not everyone has the room to grow a mother plant and a seperate room for a cutting flowering station. these seeds are designed for stealth, not yield. They are ment for PC case grows or something small in the closet.