Question on planting Germinated seeds

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by MunkyMan, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Got a quick question for all you seasoned growers. I will soon be planting my seeds and was wondering if I should start them off in plastic cups then transplant to a 5 gallon or is it safe to just plant directly into a 5 gallon pot?

It seems most people start their plants off in a smaller vessel then transplant to a larger one. In my situation im only going to be growing 2 plants so was wondering if I should start my plants directly in 2 separate 5 gallon buckets and avoid transplanting the plants all together

Any advice or suggestions

2. im growing two plants as well , i just started mine in smaller solo cups

3. I prefer to start seeds in the large pots of soil they will mature in. Why transplant if you don't really have to?;) Especially if you are using feminized seeds.

4. That was my thought, why stress a plant out if I can avoid it. THanks for the tip! :smoke:

5. The biggest reason you want to start in smaller containers is water management. In the first week of your plants life it will use very little water but you can't let it dry our like you will want o when they get bigger. I prefer to use small cups that are placed IN the larger containers already. See one of my previous posts for more explanation.

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-marijuana-growing/724931-fridge-3-transplanting.html

6. If you can keep from overwatering go with the large pots.
    peace B

7. like others have said, its much easier to over/under water a small plant in a 5 gallon pot.

you really have no idea how that moisture is distributing throughout the soil in such a large container. much easier to keep track of that in a solo cup.

8. Thanks guys, i will start in a solo cup just to be safe, got my grow tent built today, its a 3.5' x 4' and 5' tall, I used black and white poly for the walls, using CFL's to save money as this is my first grow. Heres some pics of the tent, going to get the lights and ventilation installed in the next day or 2 and get a good read on my temps and such for a few days to make sure i have optimal conditions.

Attached Files:

9. dont know why the pictures got rotated, but im sure you can get the idea

10. i remember hearing that starting in solo cups then letting them get a lil root bound then transplanting them will make them biiger. idk why tho. i like to start out in smaller cups/