Question on mixing my own soil

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by BrazyJay, Aug 6, 2006.

1. pdf picture of the bag of humus/manure mixture:
    http://www.scotts.com/media/media/pdf/productGuide/Labels%2005/11440180.pdf

Ok... i bought that and some general potting soil (nothing but soil for potted plants i made sure it had nothing added) and some perlite... now i want to know how much of the above product (humus/manure) to mix with the soil... im going to make the mixture 60% soil/humus&manure and 40% perlite hopefully... if thats not good for what im mixing please suggest a better method. Ive never mixed my own soil with organic stuff ive always just used plain potting soil and perlite but i figured this is better than that. I also bought ferts that are 24-8-16 im pretty sure thats whats optimal for veg but i want to make sure... thanks ahead of time.

2. is this for a seedling or mature plant.

Seedling only use the regular un-nuted potting soil, mature plant i would only put 10-20% manure mixture

3. yea i was thinking of not using this until i transplant (3-4 weeks into veg) is this good or could i use it earlier or wait... do u know about the ferts? and yea i was thinkin of doing about 10% of the manure.... is it safe to use ferts and this manure mix? ive never messed with organics so i have many questions lol

4. With the regular potting soil you can keep it in that for a good long while, i would wait a little longer than 3 weeks, maybe 5 when it goes in a much larger pot.

With the manure in there you shouldnt have to fert very often or at all, all depends how good that brand is.

What i use :

Seedling from sprout to 5 weeks, only regular un-nuted potting soil

Clone from rooted to 4 weeks (which i flower after that) i give them Schultz Liquid Plant food 10-10-10 every watering

From Seed 5-8 weeks, same as rooted clone above.

Flowering i use same Schultz liquid plant food every watering (2 times a day) and Schultz Bloom Booster every week.

On top of all this for all plants, seedlings/clones and during flower i use Rhizotonic, which is a very powerful vegetable root stimulat for rooted plants, its made by Canna. Very VERY! good stuff.

hope to have helped.

5. thanks man... the manure mix is .05-.05-.05 i just bought ferts just incase it needed a N boost possibly later in growth

6. sounds ok, but like all additives to the soil, its always there. if you want a good N boost when it needs it, schultz plant food is the way to go.

Forgot to mention, in my soil mix i use 5 tablespoons of Scotts Super Turf Builder (for lawn grass) its 60-0-0 and guaranteed not to burn roots, with this i never have an N problem... of coz i add this after 5 weeks when i put the plant in its final 7 gallon pot.