Question on lumens per sq. foot.

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by SalishSea, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Right now I am running about 4,500 lumens per square foot in my veg. section. Which is 4 square feet in size. I was thinking about taking out 2 of my 2ft. T-5's and putting them in my flowering section as side lighting. Which would put me at just over 3,000 lumens per square foot in the flowering section. And at around 3,400 lumens per square foot in the veg. section.
    My thought was that it seems to make more sense to try and have both sections closer as far as light intensity than to have one much brighter than the other. Or should I go out and invest in more lighting ?
    :bongin:

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Oh and BTW, my entire grow is with CFL's and T-5's, because of power and heat issues....

2. Having one section with much more intense lighting isn't a bad thing, but you need to reverse the sections. You should have way more intensity in the flower section than the veg section. I run about 4,000 lm/ft² in my veg closet, and about 9,000 lm/ft² in the flowering tent.

3. Thanks...The reason I asked is because I'm just now adding more lighting to the veg. section because it was way too dim. I was at 2,200 lumens per sq. ft. Now after adding 2 lights I'm at 3,300. And I already have had a good harvest with 2,725 L, sq. ft. in the flowering section. But I am thinking that it does need more light.

4. Well not necessarily. If you are happy with your harvest weight it doesn't "need" any more, but it can certainly put additional light to good use. Anything that you do decide to add to the flowering area will help in overall yield and in bud density.

5. Bud density was good. Overall yield could have been better. But then that always seems to be the case...