Question on light(s)

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Americana_Ninja, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Hey Grasscity,
    I've been noticing that people are using those spiraled home light bulbs to grow bud, although their using like 7-10 lightbulbs at a time it seems to be working for them.

Do you know what bulbs I'm talking about right? The spiral light bulbs, are they effective at all, even if I want a small harvest? I always thought you needed bulbs with the right light wave length, do these have it? What makes it effective and work with indoor grows?

It just caught me off-guard and I need to know, this will hopefully get me indoors and growin'!

Thanks...

2. yes, compact fluorescents.

they work great for small personal closet grows, but you always end up with lots of wires and stuff. but they are cheap, and easy.

shop lights with the round metal reflectors can be rigged up to use more than one light by useing 3 y-splitters and then you can have 4 lights. just be aware of the capabilities and limits of the electronics you use.

soft white lights are for flowering, and daylight lights are for vegging. walmart carries both.

3. The bulbs are energy saving compact fluorescent also commonly called CFL's.

They are widely available at most Home Depot, Lowe's and Wal-Marts, just look in the electrical or lighting section of the stores.

Try to find the bulbs close to 6500K for Vegetation and 3200K for Flowering

Some have the xxxxK numbers on the packages

4. They arre called CFL or compact florescent. Yes you can use them to grow plants indoors. There is a variety of wattages to use I found the 42watt bulbs are the best when used 3" from your plant u need at least 3 or 4 per plant for maximum results. that is 42 actual watts not 42 equivelant. You should deffinatly read the book "Buds for Less" it will help you get a better Idea what is involved in starting a new hobby. Hope this helped. Good luck:smoking:

5. CFL's can be used through the entire grow. They come in basically 2 color temperatures. The soft white 2700k is in the red spectrum of light and is optimal for FLOWERING. the "daylight" is 6500k, and is ideal for Vegging. So get those 2 kinds of bulbs (however many you need), and you can grow all the way through. good luck dude.

6. Thanks!

The info you guys gave is great, this will help me alot. This is definantly inside my budget!
    Couple o' fans, some potting buckets, and a "re-designed" dresser.-----Sweet-----------