Question on LED drivers

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Cannacaps4U2, Jan 19, 2020.

1. I am ordering an HLG 260w qb.
    I see it comes with the meanwell HLG-240h driver.
    It has a single dimmer screw.

I heard that this is a plastic cheap screw and it has a tendency to strip.
    Has anyone installed an external dimmer?

Did it work?

• Like Like x 1
  2. If it has the internal dimmer, an external one won't be able to be added. Wrong driver type. However, if you're stripping that screw (which takes almost zero pressure to turn) then you're doin it wrong. You're not supposed to crank it down, lol.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Just something I have heard.
    Since I haven't used an HLG qb, I have no experience.

4. It's just a small pot, like a volume knob, but it has a phillips head on it. As long as you don't keep turning it after its at max, you shouldn't have any trouble with stripping.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. I have multiple of these HLG drivers with the built-in pot and I never had any problems with the screw stripping. In fact its the first time I am hearing that could even happen.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I have a driver question. I need to work on my dimmer knob and I think it would be easier to just cut the wire and re solder/put on some butt connectors. However if I cut the two wires coming outta my driver running to the knob will my light still be able to be on ? Will it damage anything? It’s a blue and a white wire going to the knob.

IMG_6135.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

7. i feel the problem that most people have is they are using a philips head screw driver. unless you have a philips head that is flat instead of coming to a point(which i have not seen) then its better to use a flat head screw driver. one of the slots in the cross is deeper than the other one so i use my flat head in that and have had no issues.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ?? Not sure that I follow

9. all im saying is when you look down in the whole at the screw it appers to be a Philips head(looks like a plus sign) but it will strip if you use a Philips screw driver. this is the screw driver i use.
    20200302_223622.jpg

10. i was talking to op. his driver has built in screw, not the external knob. i would solder some pig tails to your dimmer and connect it with a couple wago connectors. i wouls think if it is working now with the one wire unhooked you should still be fine if you unhook the other one. i wouldnt do anyhing with it plugged in though man.

11. Nothing I’m inquiring about should use any kind of screwdriver I don’t believe. Maybe you were just responding to some past posts in this thread about another issue.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Very interesting...
    So you are saying they are more like a double flathead slot tan a phillips bit..

I adjusted one for my first time not too long agowith a small phillips screwdriver, but only by feel, didn't look in the hole, and I fely like the bit didn't fit very well even when I touched her in the right spot..

Maybe I will look closer now and try a flathead driver..
    Like one of those little pocket clip ones from SO..

13. I have 4 wago connectors that I have no use for coming out of my driver could I use one of those? IMG_6137.JPG

14. A small philips head screwdriver was included in my hlg qb kit.
    So that is what I use, hasn't been a problem for me.

• Like Like x 1
  15. If you remove the pot then the light will work at full brightness.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Okay cool I think I’m gonna snip the whole thing maybe like 2” from the knob and go get a new resistor and butt connectors connect the wires and re solder the new resistor on. I’m shit at soldering haha. Think that should be okay?

17. IDK, what's the resistor for?

• Like Like x 1
  19. They make trim pots with flathead screws too but I'm pretty sure MW uses a phillips head, so ideally you'd want to use the correct tool for the job, but a flathead will work too if it's small enough. You're not operating a jackhammer you're easily rotating a small plastic screw, it didn't call your mama names or steal your lunch money lol. I've never had an issue.

I think this is similar to the POTs MW uses..
    Screenshot_2020-03-03-16-14-09~2.png

• Like Like x 1
  20. That adjustment is meant to be 1 time or over time. I'd say yes you have a high chance of stripping. Get the one with dim wires and buy a potentiometer.