question on growth rate.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by samiel, Feb 14, 2011.

1. ive got 2 plants going from some dank seed i bought myself for my b-day (this is bagseed not mail ordered seeds). my question is this, 1 of the plants is considerably bushier then the other. the "smaller" of the 2 plants has literally no undergrowth period, all of the nodes and internodes are completely bare. on the other there is significant undergrowth. my way of thinking says the plant with no undergrowth is a male, and the bushy plant a female? they've been on a 12/12 photoperiod for almost 2 weeks, still no preflowers on either plant, the skinnier plant ive thought was a male back during its 6 weeks of veg time? i know how to sex a plant by preflowers, but from what ive read im almost certain its a male. any thoughts on this?

2. The ? I have is what nutes are you using if any and what lighting do you have this could be the problem or y they are not growing or flowering

3. ive got 4 26w cfl's 2 in red, 2 in blue, they are in MG organic soil and im not using nutes at the moment.

4. The soil is not the grate but it will do and the lights are ok but you need to get them some nutes for sher that soil dose not have the right stuff or the nutes in it to suport that kind of growth if you have a hidro store there I would say see if you can get some ff big bloom or tigers bloom that will help a lot that's what I use and the what is the temp inside the room ther in and ph level and do you have air movment. And you have to think would you grow if you didn't have food and then do you have any thing up for reflect the lite back on the plants

5. the closest hydro store would be 2-3hrs away. i do have some 5-10-5 i could use in the mean time. i did ALOT of reading today on sexing plants and im convinced the plant w/ more of a canopy *no undergrowth* is a male. i have seperated the 2 just to be on the safe side. i will continue to watch the growth of both plants closely.

6. Ya man I would keep them in diff rooms and if you do use that plant food that you have just a little every other watering and are you planing on keep growing but as soon as you no what the sex of that plan is. If male rip it out and get it far far away

7. You could be right about the male if the seeds came from same source but I would wait and see for sure. Also if there is any light leaks during the dark cycle it can delay flowering by days or even weeks. 2 weeks should've been plenty of time to sex. Good luck.

8. i would say there are no light leaks to mention. the grow box itself is sealed well, the closet that the box is in doesnt have a light in it and the door has drapery inside of the frame. so i feel good about their dark period. i also did read a study the other day that stated that when growing several plants this particular study got a 1-1 male to female ratio. i have seperated the plants, and will continue to monitor them closely.

9. Keep us updated

10. The problem could just result from the genetics of the plant, also I'm guessing the CFL's are 6500k or 2700k?

11. i woke up to semi good news this morning. the plant that is still in my flowering box showed pistil's this morning, we have at least 1 lady... to answer your question about lights, ive got 2 6500k and 2 2700k (2 red 2 blue). i dont think genetics have anything to do with this, im almost convinced that a study on number of plants vs number of fem to male ratio is 1-1 or better.

12. it seems like a couple more cfl's would do wonders. 5-10-5 is decent but u can get nutrients at Menards. i get this stuff made by "orchid" company or at least it says orchid on it and its only $5 and its 10-52-10. they probably have other strengths..

13. well a strange thing happened this afternoon. one of my dealers knows that i grow and i took him to show him the plant i thought was a male. this particular plant has been outside since yesterday afternoon. he asked a question on sexing plants and i pointed a few things out to him, on closer inspection of the growth tips i noticed a few sets of little white hairs. checked other sites and wham hairs. woot. looked at my watch as it was still daylight outside and it was 20 minutes past the other plants bed time. so i grabbed the plant, ran back inside, turned off all of the lights in the room where my grow is, drew the shades, the whole 9 yds, opened the closest and she is now safely in the box. 1 thing i am concerned with is the size of my grow box, as 2 plants 2 weeks into flowering and the lights cant go any higher. can i finish these in my smaller box? or do i need a bigger box asap?

14. I would say bigger box man and if your not scrog and you have done no lst on them. But that's my thoughts on it where you r growing can you go higher

15. i can take them out of the box, but there lies a problem in doing that. the closet that they are in is fairly large, but i think the light loss would be too much for my tastes.

16. Get more lights haha how big is it

17. I think you definitely need more lights if you can cram them in there. You've only got like 52 watts a plant right now and most people consider 100 per plant to be a good rule.

18. I had the same problem not to far back so now i run a red 600w hps during flowering and I'm going to a blue 400w during veg and ya its worth the money to see the yeald I will get

19. right now both are about 14" tall, ive got roughly 18" total height in my box, when i put them into flowering they were less than 4" tall.. i'll have another 100w cfl in the next few days but i dont see how more light can help my plant outgrowing my box.

20. They are going to get 2 or 3 tiimes the size they are now