Question on Cloning....

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Hazieview, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Ok I need to get this cleared up once and for all!!!!

1. A female plant is more potent and produces nugs right?

2. A male is less potent and does not produce nugs right?

IF I AM WRONG PLEASE CLEAR THIS UP FOR ME CUZ I DONT GET IT!

3. So if I buy some seeds and plant them how will I know which is a male plant and which is female?

4. What are the males good for besides fertalizing the female plants?

5. If I wanted to cross plants how would I do this? Put a male plant next to a female?

I am tottally lost on this subject of planting!!!!! I have grown pot several times but just for fun. My last plant didn't have one single nug on it and wasn't potent at all when you smoked it. I do not get it! Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. 1. Correct

2. Correct. Don't smoke males, you won't get high cause THC content is so low.

3. You have to wait until you start flowering. Females will show female preflowers, and males show male preflowers. Search to find out how to tell them apart there are many threads on grass city that will tell you this.

4. Males can be used for making stuff like rope, cloth, paper, and some other stuff. Probably nothing you'd be interested in doing.

5. If you want to cross plants, get a male of one strain and a female of another strain, and flower them in the same room. The female will produce seeds. The plants that grow out of those seeds will be a cross of the two original plants.

3. 1. Ok so if I have a female plant will it produce males or will the WHOLE plant have nothing but female leaves that prduce nugs?

2. If I see that the whole plant is a Male will it produce any smokable buds? I just want herb to smoke. I wont use it for rope and I am not into planting enough to clone soooo.... should I just trash it if the plant turns out to be a male?

3. What are the chances of my buying White Widow seeds and all of them being usless male plants?

4. Normally a plant will be either all male or all female. But if the plant is a female and it gets stressed (if it gets crushed or something that it wouldn't like) it will turn to a hermaphrodite, which means it will produce female and male parts. The buds on a hermaphrodite are the same as buds on a regular female, you just get less.

If the plant is male, you might as well just throw it out. You'd have to smoke a LOT to get high. You'd get a headache from smoking it i believe.

If you get ten seeds, i think you're pretty much guaranteed several females. The chances of getting all males are almost none i think.

5. Depending on how long you let your male's grow, although you should remove them from the same area as your females as soon as they are sexed, and have to be EXTREMELY cautious not to track any pollen into where your females are going, but you can smoke the buds as a last resort, I'd rather smoke a male than chop a female early. Also I dont think many people make rope out of Male plants, you can make Hash, cannabutter, etc... or just throw em away. Hermy buds wont be as potent, and will have shit load of seeds.

6. Hemp implies roots, stems, and stalks doesn't it? Males have all those, and rope can be made from hemp. What would be the difference in making rope from a male rather than a female?

7. Ok, you COULD make rope from it, but why expend the effort when rope is readily available, legal, and cheap. Make some hash.

8. Ok. Yeah i didn't say to make rope, i was just saying what it could be used for.

9. Got ya :D , I believe the odds would be .5^10 or so, the odds of getting all male. But my stat could be quite wrong :) Anyways, nice response, heres some rep for ya from Big Spliff. :smoke:

10. Ok so if I grow a Female plant of White Widow and a male plant of White Russian in the same room right next to each other then the seeds from the Female White Widow plant could be planted thus becoming White Russian Widow.... Right???

Question how does the pollen get from the male to the female??? Wouldn't you need something to transport the pollen such as a bee or something like that?

11. a slight breeze or the shaking of the plant can scatter pollen. also, if the male plant is attractive enough then the female could get fertilized sometimes just by looking at it ;]

socki

12. hi again. did you have a question about cloning? sorry im nosey =P if youre not totally sure what cloning is.. usually when it's mentioned on this site it's referring to trimming a branch or stem/main stem from a plant and causing it to grow into a whole new plant. if your clone is from a female plant then i think it's guaranteed to be female. good luck with your plants!!

socki