question on adding lime / sulphur

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by BeachSpliff858, Apr 28, 2009.

1. hey all, i was wondering, is it OK if i dont add any lime or sulphur or anything to regulate my soil's PH until after the plants are in the holes/pots? or does it have to be done before? thanks....

2. How would you intend to do that after the plants are in the soil?? Mash up the roots or something??? Dohhh...

3. #3 BeachSpliff858, Apr 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2009
    i couldnt sprinkle it on top? sorry, i had to ask.
    :eek:

that smiley is entitled "embarrassed"

also, is it bad if i mixed almost one cubic foot of shredded hardwood mulch to my soil mix?

heres what im looking at:

20% native soil (bright red to orangle clay, heavily clay...im happy haha)

10% mulch

10% horse shit

30% perlite

20% high quality potting soil from last year, still good, has a bit of perlite in it.

10% leaf compost, leaves, eggshells, etc.

does that soil look good cantharis? im hoping i wont have to add lime at all, maybe just a bit, but my mix needs another couple weeks to really rot nicely and get ready for planting, but a few of my seedlings already have their second set of leaves.....can i mix up a bit of pelletized lime in my pile and have it be ready to go by the middle of may?

cantharis i love you haha

peace

4. put a couple of tablespoons full of your final mix in a jar of distilled water and shake it up and let settle. Then use a cheap indicator type pH test to determine if you need to raise the pH with lime. I use a pool test kit that I had left over. aquarium pH testers are cool too. anything with a range of 5.5 - 8 or so should be good enough.

One of the benefits of growing in soil is the wide latitude of environment the plants can thrive in.