Question: Growing in Pots outdoors.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by iAMtheLiquor, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Hey guys,

After this season's grow I am looking to relocate my site. I also think I am going to be using two seperate sites in the same general area.

The issue though is that the terrain is dense forest with a very rocky ground. It would be nearly impossible to dig more than 6 inches into the ground without hitting serious root or just pure rock.

I imagine the best solution would be to grow in large buckets. I just am not sure what constitutes as large.

I need growers that are experienced in growing in buckets to answer these short questions please.

1. First off, I want to grow for yeild as well as quality. I want as much pot as I can grow in 15 buckets. I am choosing strains that are mostly Indica but with some Sativa so that can be large. What size bucket would it require to grow 15 plants up to at least 6 or maybe 7 feet tall??

2. Generally speaking, How many bags of soil will it take to fill up each of those buckets in the size you answered above??

Thanks guys, You guys are the best.

And please, Only repsond if you honestly know what you are talking about and have experience in bucket growing.

2. 5 gallon buckets would grow big healthy plants...6+ feet. A cubic foot of soil is about 7 gallons so it will take a little less than one cubic foot of soil per bucket.

Homer Paint Buckets are what I use but if you're growing gorilla you may find some camo buckets at sporting goods stores or outdoor outfitters, but they're gonna cost more.

You could spray paint them (sand the surface a little first and use good, matte spray paint that sticks to plastic).

3. I grow in 50 litre tubs. That is about 11 robust UK gallons, and 13 wimpy US gallons - and I am the only person here who is able to differentiate between the two, as far as I can see.

Bigger the roots, the bigger the shoots always applies however.

4. Are those robust UK gallons, or wimpy US gallons ???? We are an international forum, so it is important you differentiate between the two.

5. You already answered your own question:

6. #6 Leapfrog, Oct 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2008

Heating up the soil in your containers by the sun will be an issue so the larger the containers the less of a chance to damage roots from heat. I would go with 25 US Gallon (that was for you cantharis...lol) Nursery containers (about $1.50 for used ones from your local nursery) or about $9 for new ones.

OldSkool1010 took care of that in his post.

On Edit:

You can make a few skirts from below pictured camo netting to cover your containers from the sun and intrusive eyes:

[​IMG]

7. i would go with the big 50 liter buckets... they seem to work well

8. I have noticed a few people commenting on roots getting too warm...

Is this a serious issue and something that is almost gaurunteed unless I do something about it?

What methods do you guys use to keep roots cooled? Watering more often?

9. Yes if it happens it IS a serious issue. You have the option of diggin in the pots or cover them - see my post above.

10. Would putting holes in the sides of the bucket be effective? Also, how effective is the netting you showed above?

If it means I put this on the bucket and have no reason to worry the entire season, then I am definitely doing it.

I am not concerned about people seeing cause this operation is in some heavy shit where people really just don't go. However, It's not like I want to paint the buckets hot pink so they absolutely stand out from the air or something....

Anyway, What is a definitive way to prevent the roots from overheating where I will not have to worry at all throughout the season of this problem???

I appriciate everything Leap.

11. I grew in 15 gallon pots this season. The pots didn't get hot (they were dug in a few inches and in some bushes, so less exposed to the sun than the plants. You said holes at bottom. Yes, so the water runs a little but Only do a couple (I used cork plugs to keep water in my pots already had holes). But don't take out plugs or you'll need to water more often of course! I leave 2 holes out of 8 open.
    Pots can be covered with camo as it was said but black pots aren't too visible if dug in a little and if area well hidden. I use branches to hide them (change branches once in a while)If they're close enough to see the pot or the camo, they see your plants too. So most important is location. But I like the camo thing I might do it next year. Pots are cool because you don't need to dig. But in soil it's an endless pot: better yields!

12. Just like Corto Malteze said - dig them in or cover them for heat protection. Holes of course - not for cooling but for drainage. Use Nursery pots. Cheap and effective. They come in black and a dark green and in many different sizes.. Get them used from a larger nursery.

Nursery pot in black:

[​IMG]

13. i had the same problem this year and have had first hand experience with 15 gallon buckets. the more the better, honestly. when i went to harvest i pulled the main stem and the WHOLE bucket of soil came up with it (yes, the roots do go that deep). i would find 10-15 gallon pots and spray paint them camo if possible. the sun just bakes the black and the roots get too hot. as a way of solving that problem for me, i made an artificial mulch over the top layer (plastic), so the moisture could slowly escape. also, i triple potted as to not let the hot sun beating down on the sides of the buckets bake the roots. hope this helps

14. Growing in buckets requires more watering than growing directly in the soil. set the buckets as deep in the ground as you can. use underbrush or weeds to both shade and camouflage the buckets. If you're planting at a treeline choose a southern exposure for max sun. If you have a choice, morning sun is better than afternoon. If you can shade the buckets on the west side then they shouldn't get too hot...of course if you're growing in the senora desert...

15. Hey Oldskool,

I like your comment on the southern exposure, however I wish you could explain it just a tiny bit further. I thought that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west. The plot I am choosing actually does happen to have a lot of southern exposure and seems like it will likely recieve more morning light than late afternoon, although I am shooting for just as much as I can get.

It is definitely at the top of a tree line and I plan on cutting down any interfering trees around. It is deeep into the woods and is in an area nobody would care to travel unless they absolutely knew something valuable was there.

I actually am I tiny bit worried about hauling all this soil there to fill pots with but fuck it, I am young and pretty big so I think of it as a great workout. My legs are already massive from all the hiking I have been doing just scouting for the ideal spot.

Thanks for everything, but again, please explain the southern exposure...

16. Red flag here!
    ONLY do that if absolutely necessary and if perfectly safe to do so (preferably in the winter).
    Cut down trees are some of the main things Heli crews are looking for!

17. Thanks Leap for the comment, I appriciate it.

I have it well taken care of though. I am going to be cutting them down and then moving them out of sight underneath the canopy. They are small trees and not many of them.

18. Then everything is cool! :)

19. #20 cantharis, Oct 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2008
    My pots sit on tiles, so they cannot be dug in. But I find that the ladies quickly get so big that the pots are completely shaded, no more problem.
    The hottest time for me is early August, and veg is over by then, they have reached full size, flowering is just beginning.