Question! Going to Home Depot/ Lowes Tomorrow..

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Jman20427, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Hey all, newbie poster here looking for some opinions. I have three plants that just sprouted today, to my surprise(much quicker then I thought) and are under a couple CFL's 24/7 right now. I am making a run to Home Depot/Lowes tomorrow, and I want to spend around 40-45 dollars tops(hey im a college student). By reading through some threads it looks like I have three options. Right now I have a 4' Light Fixture for flos, and 3 little 13W CFL's, so ill def be using those. All I need is two bulbs, unless the fixture is broken....which it may be.
    So here are my options...

1. Buy two more 4 foot fixtures to total three with 1 warm and 1 cool white 40W floros in each. Have the three little 13w CFL's as well.

2. Buy 1 or 2 70w HPS Bulbs...but I would need a fixture for it, dont know what those go for, can I just use a simple one that would screw into a normal bulb casting? I have plenty of those that you can plug an extension cord into and then screw the bulb in the other side.

3.) Spend a little extra and get a 150W HPS and fixture.. I dont know what the total on the would be. I know the bulb is around 37 bucks, but I dont know what fixture is needed( again, is it a simple one like I stated in the last option?)

I have a nice big closet to grow them in, with a fan, and a little ventilation. Im using Sty-Green Soil with fert already in it(peat moss, perlite and limestone)...its a 15-12-9 mix. I think im gonna buy the FoxFarm nutes for it, and just use my tap water since I know there are not alot of acidic chemicals in it.

Ive read through the Grow FAQ and some threads, but there are so many differnt ways and different opinons, Id just like to know whats the best way to go from someone that has been here quite a bit longer then I have, and knows what the general consencious would be.
    Thanks GC

2. You look good on the soil... just remember no need to fert this sucker for a long time
    with the soil you have, just ph balanced water of 6.5 no higher than 7 no less than 6

For the lights i say save youself some money for the time being and get 2 more screw in CFL but not the 13W get higher they should have up to 60 watts in the swirl screw in type....

If you go HPS you will have to buy the fixture as they cannot simply screw into any light socket and work it requires a ballast.

Happy shopping

3. save the money you save today and other days to save up for a nice 250W switchable HPS/MH

4. I live in Canada and im in the same situation. I just used CFLS and 2 4' bulbs running vertically up my closet wall. The highest wattage I could find was 33watts and that was at Wal Mart. Home Depot didnt have shit. And they had some HPS but there like $30 a bulb . . .

5. Oh also i forgot. . . your yield wont be much . . I got 2 plants and a total of 11,000 lumens from my cfls and tube flouros and Ill probably get like 1/2 ounce.

6. its why i told him at this early stage, just use flourescents and save up for a couple weeks for a HPS system.

7. Thanks Dier. You think two 60 watters and those 13's I have would be enough for a veg on three plants though? If so, then thats cool. I can save up and buy a 150/250 set up when its time to flower. I just hope my fixture works, cause that would be perfect.

8. Depends on other factors as well though. Ive seen people get a couple ounces from a few plants. But I know what your saying. Im really just shooting for a 1/2 OZ per female, providing I get one.

9. Also, Im not sure when to water these babies exactly. Im just waiting for the soil to become almost dry on the top and then water them again. Should I follow a strict schedule if I can, or just water them when I know the soil is beginning to dry? Not to sure exactly how much water, although Ive already watered them and they look healthy.

10. For Watering Just Put Your Finger 2inches In Soil And When Its Not Moist Water This Should Take 2 -3 Days Then Once You Fert Them It Should Come With A Week Plan

11. With CFLs water 2 cups of water every 3 days, provided your soil is good this should be a good schedule.

This is based on a 5 gallon pot.... use the finger method for smaller pots, you will see how long it takes but as the plant grows it uses up water more frequently...

Monitor the holes at the bottom of the pot for roots, once you see a root time for a bigger pot.

Dont think you will need to fert for a while, you can easily contaminate the soil with too much fertilizer, so i suggest you hold off on that until your in at least an 8 inch pot, then do it weekly only.

12. I think Im going to go to the store today and grab a couple 60 watters and maybe 1 4' fixture and a couple flo tubes for Veg. I found a 150W HPS on www.e-conolight.com/ It was to my understanding that the 150W HPS came with everything except a plug, and all you needed to do was get a heavy extension cord, cut off the female end and wire it up. I guess its around 50 bucks delievered w/tax. I might go that route. Will that work? Or do I need something else as well? It can be found here www.e-conolight.com/Product/EProduc...ber=E-HC1H151Z&FGQuantity=1&ProductFamilyID=3

13. 150w hps is good enough for 1 plant.

14. Get the HPS,its your best bet!

You can get away with 3 plants under 150 watt hps,i used to grow with one about 7 years ago,and i got just over a oz for each plant...so it can be done.

15. Well I went to home depot today..I was kind of confused but after looking around 20 minutes I found my way. They have their CFL's scattered everywhere in that place. Anyway the biggest they had were 42W spirals. So I bought two of those plus two 34 W Cool white tubes. They had 40W but the code was F40/C50...so I wasnt sure if those were cool white/warm white or not.

So right now I have a 4' Fixture with two 34W Cool White Tubes, Two 42W Spiral CFl's, and two 13W CFL's for three Plants. I know its not much, but will this work on just a veg? When its time to flower, Im going to add the 150W HPS on top of what I have. I might buy another Fixture and tubes just incase.

They also had a 500W Heavy Duty Halogen Light. Those are not the same as the HID set ups right? They were around 40 bucks. I figured those werent worth it because of the price..why would a 500W be 40 bucks when a 150 HPS is 50.

16. Why did you get such a low yield? Are the long Flouros not any good? Anyone know anything about Flourine bulbs at Home Depot 44w?