Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Question for you Season Tokers

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by AHooker420, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Last night a few buddies of mine were chilling smoking some hookah and the conversation came up of how long is too long to hold your hit? A few different responses came up, and I was wondering what you guys at GC thought.

Some people said for 5-10 seconds, others said just 1 second, and someone also said hold it as long as you can. Me personally I said 5-10 seconds, but that's just something that I've always known somehow, and I honestly have no idea which is the "best way to hold your smoke".

So lay it on me GC, how long is too long to hold onto your hit?

2. that completely depends on how high you want to get. it should go without saying that the longer you hold the smoke in your lungs, the more of a chance they will have to absorb the THC in the smoke. You should also consider that the absorption rate decreases exponentially with time as your lungs are taking up the THC; the first second or two is when the majority of the THC is absorbed, and after that your lungs are taking up less and less with time.

If you are out to get very blazed, then hold it in for as long as you can. just remember that after a while, your lungs aren't taking in as much THC. I'm guessing that after 8 or 10 seconds, theres not a whole lot more absorption going on.

fratty

3. Hold it in for 3-5 seconds, after that there is no point. You won't get any more THC and you will just be depriving your brain of oxygen, which gives you that 'head rush feeling' and is also where the misconception comes from that you get more high by holding it in longer. Ghosting hits is BS, unless you are just trying to prevent a room from smelling.

4. High Times Magazine had an article that said after 3 seconds you were mostly inhaling carcinogens.

5. This is correct. After 3 seconds your just harming your lungs.

6. only real men hold their shit in til they pass out :p

7. Scientific evidence proves that holding smoke in for any longer than ten seconds does nothing more than increase the concentration of CO2 in your blood plasma, only giving you a feeling of oxygen deprivation. You get no more high.

8. jus take big tokes or big gongs rips till i feel high,,,,never put much thought into holding it in or how long

9. I heard you absorb 97% of the THC in 3 seconds

10. Do you have a link to the study you're talking about? I really would like to be able to show that to them so they would finally just shut up about ghosting hits.

11. I once held in my hit for less than 3 second, then my bong blew up...and someone raped my cat! Never again.

12. Yeah, holding it in for more than 5 seconds is basically a waste. I just try to get it in my lungs as soon as possible, I'm a pussy hitter haha.

13. 2-4 seconds, tops.

14. i hold usually like 5 - 7 seconds, kb get you fucked up!

15. haha, i dont really count, but i estimate at 5 sec. sometimes i inhale so much that when i exhale, later on ill burp up smoke, haha

16. fat bong rip until you black out a lil and your eyes roll back into your skull that way your baked as hell :D
    then 3 seconds thats all it takes for the thc to be absorbed.

17. I know this and yet I feel like a pussy if I blow it out in less than 10 seconds. Old (old!) habits are hard to break.

18. the only reason you get higher if you hold your hits long is because of oxygen deprivation, which will kill many many brain cells.

5-10 seconds for the max effect, anything after that is just unhealthy and plain retarded.

19. id say 5-10 seconds, but going longer than 10 sec wont get you any higher

20. 3-5 seconds is the perfect time as far as I'm aware.