Question for the RO/DI H2O users.

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Rcass, Aug 26, 2022.

1. #1 Rcass, Aug 26, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
    Hi folks,

Question for those that start with RO/DI water (0.0 TDS). What at a minimum do you put in to carry your seedlings from day 1-14 or until veg? In a sense I’m looking for CAL/MAg, veg a, etc. that you use to carry them into veg with little or better yet no signs of burn? I run a RWDC and got some really good info shared from a member here from a hydro company that really works for my specific build. (I do not use their nutrients just applying the below ranges, PpM, Ph etc.).
    upload_2022-8-25_22-11-53.png
    Although I am starting out with 0.0 TDS it is still a challenge to get it to 0.2 or thereabouts considering adding Cal mag, Hydro guard, veg A, etc…

I’ve heard through the use of their embryonic leaves they really don’t need any direct nutrients as such starting out. On the other hand I’ve heard when using RO/DI water at a minimum you need to add Cal mag that will be found in normal tapwater whether city or well, along with other macro and micro nutrients. So my question is who out there is using distilled or reverse osmosis water and what do they add to successfully get them from seedling into VEG?

if possible I would like to keep this nutrient brand agnostic (i.e. Fox Forms hydro pack).

kr

• Like Like x 1
  2. I use RO because my well water has severe levels of bicarbonates combined with high alkalinity.
    For me, a 50/50 mix of my well water and the RO lowers those levels into acceptable ranges and adds back in necessary minerals such as calcium and magnesium.
    Have you tested your water supply?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. RO water is not the same as distilled water .
    Distilled water is water that has been turned into a gas/vapor then cooled again.
    Normally having a very low amount of minerals left in it .
    My RO water PPM's are about 45 PPM's @ 7.2 PH.
    My city water well and all the water wells here in the great basin have a shit ton of minerals in it .
    The PPM's are over 1500 @ 8.4 to 8.6 PH.
    I have a 5 stage commercial RO system.
    I go through about 60 to 80 gallons a day of RO water per day.
    As said above I mix my RO water with tap water about 50/50 mix .

I always start my seedlings/clones in TAP water.
    Depending on your tap water , but there are those Hydroponic growers that don't need RO water .

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. #4 Rcass, Aug 26, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
    I run distilled. I am on city but my tds is 100-110 from tap. Not bad at all, however using di water gives more ability to hone in on only necessary nutes at the various feed weeks.

truth be told although I have experience growing for years my new recirculating system really gave me problems and most of those problems came from the recommendation or feed charts provided by not one or two but all of the nutrient companies out there.

5. Good question cause I’m think about using Ro