Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Question for people who know the law inside and out...

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by BouncingAround, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Okay, so yesterday I finally sat down with my dad to tell him I smoked and (since I'm gonna be living at home for the next year) if I'd be allowed to smoke in my room. Well....it was pretty much an absolute NO. He didn't want to hear any of my research and facts and reasons or anything....he was just really hung up on the fact that it's illegal.

His main point being, I'm not to bring it home ever. He says since it is his house if the police ever come and search and find anything in my room he'll be the one in jail and paying fines, etc.

So my question is this...I'm 18, technically an adult. Would my parents really get the blame if it is in their house, if I'm the one that owns up? I mean, if I claim full responsibility to it and pay the fines and do the jail time...would my parents get in trouble? They could search the entire fucking house and not find anything other than the little bit that is mine.

I'm just asking because I'm perfectly aware of the consequences in MI if I'm found with a pipe and an 1/8 on me (which is all I ever carry anyway). I'm willing to face them if I'm ever caught, I just don't want my parents to get in trouble. Not that its likely the police are going to raid my bedroom lol, but my parents are complete paranoid squares.

Any advice would be amazing, thanks.

2. probably should have eased it in a little bit better with pops...first let them know you smoke and that it doesnt affect school/work and whatnot, then talk them up to smoking in your room...im not a law expert or anything, but theyll threaten you with ruining your parents when they sit you down and theyll try to get you to give up all your connects(if you are ever caught) and if you dont theyll at least threaten to fuck with your rents, i dont know if they actually can though...

3. Yeah, I thought I was really well prepared because I have folders upon folders of information saved on my computer to back up my case...but I was prepared more for the "personal choice" side of the issue than the legal side.

I want to respect their wishes and not bring it home, but it's hard to be a smoker and not EVER carry it on you (I do not have a vehicle to keep it in at the moment). If they ask me not to smoke at home, I won't....but I will probalby still carry it on me and want to make sure if things do get screwed over, they won't get in trouble for it.

By the way....my rents' records are SPOTLESS so if they tried to dig up anything on them, they wouldn't even find a speeding ticket.

4. the cops are dicks. and if you live with your dad regardless of your age you're most likely listed as a dependent on his tax return, which means he calls the shots. and that means he's legally responsible for any illicit substances that find their way into his house. if the cops came to your house and saw something it'd be your dad in court, too.

luckily if you have half a brain you'll be fine. the cops came to my house while it was hotboxed and i said NO. NO. NOTHING. WHY ARE YOU HERE. and they said "what you do in the privacy of your own home is your business" and left.

5. You definatly won't get raided over an 8th.

And if your parents were allowing you to say... Grow, in their house...

Yeah... They'd be fucked too.

If they ''didn't know you were smoking'', then there's no way they're gonna go to prison, if you get caught with a J.

Thats all they gotta say... "My Son smokes POT? WHAAAT?!? Since when??"

Personal possesion isn't really something they'd be able to stick you both with.

"Personal" possesion usually means the substance was possesed, Personally. By one person.
    Not always making this possesion aware to the owner of the house.

To not get them in trouble too...

Summary: Don't sell or grow out of their house. You'll be fine, with smoking. Police won't get a warrant for an 8th.
    Nor is it guaranteed that your parents would be aware. Thus, making them not liable.... I'd think.

6. Yeah, I'd NEVER sell and grow in their house. My dad is just really scared that someone will rat me out for buying from them or something....

I only ever buy from close friends, no one shady. I just wish I could convince him that having 1/8 on me isn't going to wipe out his retirement fund. I guess I'll just have to give him some time to get more used to the idea of me smoking and then slowly try to educate them? lol I don't know but thanks everyone.

7. you're just gonna have to hide it man. i'm in the same boat as you. i just moved back home after living away from home for 2 years. i'm 21. asked my dad to grow, no go. they don't want me smoking in their house + don't approve but they do know i still blaze(they catch the smell sometimes). i've tried to convince them otherwise but they're dumb non educated fools(literally)

8. But they are homeowners who graciously allowed their stoner adult child to move back into their house.

9. It's true, cops are royal pigs, because the law is on their side, and you could lose your property (i.e. you dad could lose his house if weed is found) if illegal drugs are found therein.

10. My friend was in the same boat. The police entered his house for constant noise complaints from his neighbors (for the record, this isn't a loud household, his neighbors are just old and cenile and sleep a lot, that and they're nosey). Anyway, the police came over and he let them in right after smoking a bowl in his room which was downstairs. The cops smelled the bud after walking around and talking with my friend. They then went downstairs to the room where my friend was smoking at and he left the bowl on the table. So, the cops arrested my friend on the spot and called his parents while still in the house. His parents were just at work and claimed they didn't know he smoked. My friend took all the blame and after 1 day in jail and a $350 bail, he went to court where he only got 10 hours of community service. He was lucky to not have any fines, his parents paid for the $350 out of my pal's own savings and other than legal fees and community service, I guess you could say he "got off easy." This is probably something that might depend on state laws? Maybe if his parents were actually home, they would've been in trouble as well? The best advice is play your cards right and there's absolutely NO reason the cops would have to search your house in the first place.

11. IMO I wouldn't take any legal advice from anyone but a lawyer. just call one up and ask for some over the phone legal consultation, most of the time if its a short question like yours they will answer it with no charge. (i do stress the 'most of the time')

besides that, it sounds like your parents really don't want you smoking weed in their house. I would just bite the bullet and respect your parents rules. When I graduated high school (not that long ago) I tried to convince my parents to let me smoke weed in the house the summer before I moved out. They said no way, and that was the last anyone ever heard of it. If I was in your shoes (in the position where if you piss you parents off enough they can kick you out) I would try my hardest not to upset my parents. So really my advice is, Move out.

12. I'm in the same fucking situation....I can't get my parents to accept me smoking. They know I do it, they catch me all the time and don't do shit about it. But they still think they're gonna be liable if I ever get caught.

let me know if you ever change their minds...;)