Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Question for New York City Smokers

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by SimonJester, Aug 31, 2010.

1. I hope this is the right place to post. I'm from Boston and my wife and I are driving to NYC for a couple of days in October to see The Wall show at MSG. Up here pot is "Decriminalized" which basically means if you're caught with a small amount you get a $100 fine. When we go into the city, we usually walk around and if no one is too close we light up a bone and casually smoke it, putting it out if someone is coming toward us so as to not bother them. We're driving to NYC and staying right in Times Square so I'm planning on bringing some with me. What's the deal with smoking in NYC? I hate to risk smoking in my hotel just because of the smoking in the room fee you get charged sometimes so I'd rather smoke outside. I know NYC is a busy place and there's going to be people everywhere. Are we going to be cool just walking around, ducking into alleys and taking a few hits, or is that going to be a problem? Just trying to cover my bases, you never know when traveling.

Thanks in advance - SJ

2. i dont live in NYC but travel there often for concerts.

1. i wouldnt be ducking into any dark alleys in NYC.

2. the only place that hasnt been PACKED with people was the park

3. the park still has alot of people in it, yet i smelled alot of weed in that park

4. cops are freaking everywhere and i sure as hell wouldnt be caught dead smoking a j on one of those streets. maybe in the bronx but not anywhere near times square. times square was extremely busy.... even though i did find a guy selling NYsourD right in times square :D

3. Haha, maybe a dark alley was the wrong wording. Usually if we're in Boston, in the north end or where ever, we look for a quieter street with not so many people walking on it and light one up and cuff it and just take a few puffs and put it back out in my cigarette pack. Usually I smoke a butt while we're doing it for a little more camouflage. I'm not suggesting that I want to light a cannon up and blaze in the middle of Times Square. I'm just wondering if I'm quick about it and on the move, will I have a problem taking a few puffs while roaming around the city.

4. Places that have decriminalized non-medical cannabis in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Possession of 25 grams (0.88 ounces) or less of cannabis is a civil citation punishable by up to a $250 fine and a $100 court surcharge; stricter punishments exist for sale, cultivation, or subsequent offenses. If found in a public place with marijuana burning or in public view, offender can be charged with a misdemeanor, fined $500, and incarcerated up to 3 months.
    First-time offenders of all marijuana possession laws and some marijuana sale laws are, with some exception, granted an automatic adjournment of their case in contemplation of dismissal ("ACD"), meaning that if the offender commits no crimes and abides by any conditions set by the court, his or her case will be automatically dismissed after six months.

Some cops are cool here but I wouldn't be smoking right out in the open, and some alleys are sketchy.

Edit: Just saw you posted. I have smoked one time in public, we were walking by NYU at night and smoked a J while we were walking. A woman noticed but she just said that we should try and be more subtle.

5. I think that if you just walk along one of the side streets of times square you should be fine.

I wanted to go to that show :(

6. do not fall for the decrminalization crap. there is a loophole, and you will be arrested if your caught

i live in the city and i know what its like, im sure you wont have much truble finding bud, but when smoking dont stick around time square either go uptown or downtown,and find a lazy side street with minimal traffic and blaze.

7. i live in the city bro
    you should be very careful smoking in the city, if u wanna tho you should go on a one way street where theres less people then you can prob stand by a wall and smoke your joint. the people in the city dont give a shit about nothing except themselves just walk away when you see cops approaching

8. go to central park or any of the larger parks, plenty of space to toke

or get a cheap vape to use in the hotel

do you have a balcony? if so just smoke jays there and hold them like cigs

9. central park is full of cops,

10. tgr knows what he's talking about. Never light one in Times Square, cops there are at just about every corner.

11. #11 NySt0nerPunk, Aug 31, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
    Smoke on a balcony if you have one or just smoke in your bathroom and try and cover the smell

Nyc is the worst place to smoke, Out of all the states in the USA nyc has the record for most arrest for smoking bud

I've lived here all my life, Best place to be smoking is indoors

Don't even light up in a park, Last time i lit up in a park resulted me in being arrested by narcs

12. NYC and LI are both shitty places to just walk around blazing. Theres just so many fucking people and alot of them have something against smoking. Although there are ALOT of smokers, theres a large amount of haters too.

Best places to smoke have to be in a car driving around, or inside. Any other place can be sketchy as shit.. Once in a blue moon i will walk down side streets toking a blunt or joint with friends but its usually pretty dark and EMPTY, if we see someone we just hold it cupped in our hand and just keep walking.

13. Dude I smoke joints walking down the street no biggy, just keep your head up. But Time Square isnt the spot to smoke durring the day but just smoke in your room open a window or get a hotel with a balcony....

^problem solved

14. the hotel room really is your best bet in nyc, or in the concert venue itself... i smoked a quarter ounce and a fer cigarettes in a hotel room and never got caught, buy yourself a nice bottle of Ozium, gets rid of the smell in seconds! and put a wet towel over the fire alarm and under the door although the fire alarm won't really go off from pot of cig smoke

15. yeah but most people wont care, i find that the other 4 boroughs are the best places to smoke, the cops are slightly more lax and the possibilty of getting caught there is very very small. in m experiences cars are risky.

16. There are alot of undercover cops walking the streets, and alot of people looking to rip you off in the alleys.

I suggest taking your car to a parking garage and just smoke before you go down stairs.

The other alternative is going to central park. Find a secluded open area and just bake.I suggest the sheep meadow.

17. in the busy areas, but just duck into some trees, ive smoked literally hundreds of blunts in central park, just don't be dumb, and look for an area that has nobody, central park is fucking huge

18. OKAY! So here we go. Being that I live in New Jersey, and only 25 minutes away from NYC, I will tell you what you want to know. I go to NYC all the time. My friend who has a band plays in Times Square and he says that he always sees people smoking joints. In fact, he asked some guy for a cigarette but it ended up he was just about to smoke a joint outside of a coffee shop. The point is, you can smoke in public in NYC. Make sure you are just in a good spot where it would look like it's just a cigarette.

19. if ya say so, but i know 3 guys that got caught there on seperate occasions, thats why i have not blazed there. all of them got caught by undercover cops.

20. I know rite? Im like wtf just lite up on the street. If your not carrying bud except a J or 2 they dont give a shit half the time. :smoke: NY- Where we ALL get high!