Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Question for Dispensary Employees/Owners

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by lessthanjeezy, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Hey Blades,

I am starting my process of trying to apply for positions at a local medical dispensary. I currently have a full time job in an unrelated industry and a bachelors degree in Marketing and am looking to make a switch. If I do manage to get an interview which I am very aware is a long shot, should I be honest about my cannabis use if asked? Just want to know if that is a check against you or if they don't mind since it is a medical cannabis dispensary after all. Keep in mind I do not have a medical card since I luckily do not qualify for one in my state.

I am going to get my resume and cover letter ready to drop off to the dispensary looking for any part time or full time positions they may have, and hope for the best, but any tips are greatly, greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone

2. Every state will have different requirements that employees must meet to be able to work in the industry. If you are more specific about which state you are targeting someone may be able to give you some advice.

3. First off, you can't work in a MMJ collective or dispensary without a Medical Card, not sure if it different in other states but that's usually the first requirement.

Usually they don't ask about Cannabis use, it's expected, especially if you plan on suggesting products to patients, you should know your medicine. There are plenty of opportunities.

You say you have a Bachelors? Why not open up a dispensary with a well written business plan? The usual and only positions at most dispensaries are Budtender, depending on state it doesn't pay very much for what you'll be doing. If you love it it will be great.

Good Luck.

4. Can't open a dispensary because of the funding required and extremely strict standards for the medical program for the state I am in (NJ)

And in NJ I don't believe you need to be a medical card holder for a job at a dispensary. Thanks for the input.

5. It's a multi-million dollar proposition to open a dispensary here in CO....that is, if you can find someone selling their license. Licenses here are extremely limited. It isn't a case of "I want to open a dispensary" and just doing it. There a 30 page, VERY revealing document you must fill out with so much personal info they know what yer favorite sex position is...and all of this info is available to the Feds.

I've seen some of the ops folks are setting up in Cali as well. Again...if you don't have serious funding....you are wasting your time and money cus you will simply be eaten up by the competition.

As far as working in a dispensary....in CO you must go to the MMED/State offices in Denver and apply for a "badge" that allows you to work in the "industry". Requirements: 21 or over. No felonies allowed.

My son works at a dispensary as a Budtender. It's a $12.50 an hour (started about $10 I think) job with no benefits other than he can get 50% off of product. Kinda like working at 7-11 but you are selling cannabis products.

There doesn't appear to be a "ladder" to climb in these companies. Once a Budtender..always a budtender. Nobody cares if you know how to grow...in fact....that is usually what they AREN'T looking for because their ways are set. They may grow bud for the shop...but all of the other products they sell are wholesaled to them and then resold...so the profit margins aren't on the same scale that many who are selling under the table see routinely. It's certainly not the 100% profit closet/basement growers see. Not even close.

Not saying it can't be done...but it's a far cry from being as easy as selling illegally to friends/etc. and pocketing all the cash.

good luck

6. #6 ganjafarmer521, Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    Anyone have any insight as to how a grower can grow or sell to a shop? Im sure this is difficult with restrictions and requirements im just really curious how one may turn this into a legal career

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

7. Thanks for the post, good info and I appreciate it. Yeah owning a dispensary is just out of the question money wise, and I am aware there isn't much upward mobility from a trimmer/budtender, other than possibly management of a store location, but I will also try to get into the marketing side of the industry with my marketing background, as of right now just trying to get my foot into the industry so if Murphy wins in November for Jersey and cannabis is legalized that I am in front of the hundreds of people who will then try to apply. Right now just trying to find part time work while keeping my current job with benefits, figure if I could pick up even 20 hours a week that would be a good start

8. maybe knowing the endocannabinoid system could give you chance to be a better qualifier... if nothing else you will look smart in a room full of weed!

9. I highly suggest getting the card if you want to stand a chance. It shows you have at least been to a dispensary and have knowledge of all products sold there. Most competition will probably be previous bud tenders and MMJ patients. If I was looking for new employees for our Collective when CA goes recreational. I'd skip over every single potential employee without a MMJ Rec. To me it shows you don't know much about dispensaries, or have you even been to one? Product knowledge other than, flower. You didn't care to become legal, or support the MMJ program. Its also a liability in a sense. Just some more suggestions.

10. I am aware having a card may help but again, I am in NJ, I do not qualify for a card due to the limited amount of conditions that are covered under the NJ MMJ plan. Also can that even legally come up in an interview since it has to do with your medical records? I would say me not having my rec doesn't mean I don't know anything about dispensaries, just that I do not have a debilitating condition that allows me to hold a card. And believe me, I have plenty of product knowledge other than flower. I have supported the NJ MMJ program and others and been to many protests for legalization of cannabis for both medicinal and recreational use, a person not having their medical card does not mean they don't support the MMJ program, it can very simply mean they do not qualify. I know that may sound weird to you, but it is not as easy to get a medical card in NJ as it is in CA, not even close, pretty much anyone can get a card in California.

If they ask if I have been to a dispensary, I have been to over 10, some quite a few times so I understand the workings of a dispensary and how they generally operate.

11. #11 Allofthemtaken, Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    If you know so much about how dispensaries work then why'd you ask if they'd care if you smoke? It seems that you do need a medical card to work at a dispensary in NJ after a little research. I'm sure them asking your out having an actual card wouldn't pertain to questions about you medical conditions or records. After even more research it looks like it's not that hard to get your card, just very expensive. There are plenty of doctors just itching for that 200 evaluation. After reading reviews, looks like just about anything can get you a card if you have any type of medical records. You don't have at least "one qualifying condition" ? Looking on your weedmaps there are plenty of places with 0 reviews, call ahead and ask about employment, I bet you could ask one of them your first question... But Like I said just suggestions. Not trying to be a dick. Good luck on your job hunt.

12. Because I have not spoken to any dispensary owners or employees so I was unaware how they felt about employees cannabis use, I figured it would be fine but again, was just asking the question.

Here are the qualifying conditions in NJ:

A physician must certify that a patient has an approved debilitating medical condition to participate in the Medicinal Marijuana Program. Approved debilitating medical conditions include:

• Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
    • Multiple sclerosis
    • Terminal cancer
    • Muscular dystrophy
    • Inflammatory bowel disease, including Crohn’s disease
    • Terminal illness, if the physician has determined a prognosis of less than 12 months of life.
    The following conditions apply, if resistant to, or if the patient is intolerant to, conventional therapy:

• Seizure disorder, including epilepsy
    • Intractable skeletal muscular spasticity
    • Glaucoma
    • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
    The following conditions apply, if severe or chronic pain, severe nausea or vomiting, cachexia or wasting syndrome results from the condition or treatment thereof:

• Positive status for human immunodeficiency virus
    • Acquired immune deficiency syndrome
    • Cancer

I don't remotely have any of those conditions (very happy not to obviously) so it definitely is not very easy to get a card in NJ. I appreciate the info about requiring a card to work in a dispensary, I will do some more research on that and if that is in fact the case, will wait to start applying until rec is legalized in 2018. Good call to take a look at dispensaries in the area and call to see what info they may have.

• Like Like x 2