Question For Anarchists.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Runningw235, May 23, 2013.

1. In a free society, how would nudity/obscenity be treated?

In "public" would you be required to wear clothes?

If all property was private, would someone be permitted to display themselves on their own property within eyesight of people outside of their property?

This isn't an argument for/against any political belief, but something that baffles me.

Please discuss.

2. #2 Arteezy, May 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2013
    You likely wouldn't be required to wear clothes in "public", but that doesn't mean business owners in the area won't frown on you walking around naked (and thus deny you service). Think "no shoes, no shirt, no service".

In a free society, most of the land in the areas with a lot of people would likely be privately owned. "Public" land, in this case, refers to unowned land as far as I can tell.

3. #3 Fizzly, May 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2013
    To the OP:

I don't think much would change.

If it was legal to walk around nude I still wouldn't do it -- and I don't think the vast majority of people would either.

Do you know anyone who would love go out in public naked, but don't only because there's a law against it?

4. You video tape it for capital

While you have no expectation of privacy once you're in public that doesn't mean they have the right to take something focused around you and sell it w/o your consent.

I personally don't see whats wrong with nudity at all. I mean its just the human body. Its fucked up that just pissing in public turns you into a sex offender. I would imagine there would be no restriction on nudity in most communities. Never really thought about it before.

Why not?

8. What does this have to do with anarchy? Libertarian law would be the same on this issue whether a government existed or not.

9. Hmmm kind of mixed answers.

Think about it from a broader perspective. Can I broadcast any visual I want on my own property?

For example, my private property is surrounded by several neighbors and unclaimed space that lots of people frequent. On my own property I have an Imax-sized screen showing incredibly obscene things. 

I don't suppose it would violate anyone's rights, just be kind of aggravating, particularly for people with children.

Just thinking out loud.

10. One thing people forget about anarchy is that there are still rules.

The only differencs is the rules are enforced on a case by case basis on practicle terms on private property by a party that has the rite to enforcs the rules.

Anarchy pretty much means we are adults and dont need a bunch of thugs threatening us with guns to keep us civil

Sent from device_name using Grasscity Forum App

11. Yea sure other people exercizing freedom can be irritating. Its no different now.

The problem with government and law is that it is ALWAYS oppresive.

A law basically means they tell you what to do and punish you if you dont obey. Like pot laws.

Anadchists just want to stop being told what to do. There would still be conseauences for actions just no cops.

To use your example the neighbors might respond by planting tall trees to block the obsence board.

Sent from device_name using Grasscity Forum App

Yes you can, but would you?

Chances are most people wont want to deal with the consequences and doing something like that for no logical reason at all doesn't seem worth it. How about a less absurd scenario lol

I don't think it's that absurd at all honestly. You mention things like logic and reasoning but how does that stuff work with people like Westboro Baptist who simply want to aggravate people. There are far more people like that than you think.

Seeing as the westboro baptist church does it already, i dont know why its a serious question for anarchist.

15. Exactly. This question is one of general law that could be asked to any group of people. It has nothing to do with anarchism at all. The fact that all property would be private in an anarcho-capitalist society doesn't have any significance in this case since this same situation can exist with a government or without one.

16. #16 Arteezy, May 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2013

I already answered this in the second post, but let me answer it again since you apparently can't apply my reasoning.

If you did something that pissed off most of the community, the community would likely drive you out because very few (if anyone) in the surrounding area would do business with you. Even the people who decided to continue doing business with you could be lumped into a group with you making all of your lives very hard. Imagine that all the local farmers and supermarkets started denying you service because you posted some massive obscene pictures for your neighbors to see (or you continued to associate with that person after they refused to take it down). Hell, the local electric companies might decide to deny you service if you end up using a lot of it to do stupid things like displaying imax-sized obscene pictures to neighbors/people passing by your residence.

Ostracism is very powerful. As far as I know, the WBC uses signs created on 2x4s and megaphones to get their point across. Noise pollution is a real thing and they could be charged if they refuse to stop polluting the air with their drivel (using megaphones). Of course, in this statist society we live in, pollution is usually ignored by the state since they're the biggest polluter of all.

So the answer is being ostracized and mob rule?

What happens if a community doesn't like what I'm doing even if it's not annoying? Say I'm a homosexual in a mostly religious town. After suspicion/being outed everyone in the community refuses to do business with me, what are my options? Just move?

18. So the answer is being ostracized and mob rule?

What happens if a community doesn't like what I'm doing even if it's not annoying? Say I'm a homosexual in a mostly religious town. After suspicion/being outed everyone in the community refuses to do business with me, what are my options? Just move?
    </blockquote>
    You sound confused. It sounds like your an anarchist but you think your a statist

19. Buy what you need from a different place, or move if you can't do that?

What options are you looking for?

Not confused, asking questions, but thanks for labeling people that really helps.

I'm just simply wondering what happens in that scenario. I mean, if I move, purchase property, but the town I purchase property in has collectively decided they don't like some aspect of my life and therefore refuse to deal with me, you have almost no recourse. How are you going to move again, if you just moved there?