Question about wiring quantum boards

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by BattleAxeBob, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Yeah I bought some aluminum angle bar to make one for mine. Gathering all the pieces and I’ll have it put together. Already mounted the boards to the heatsinks.

2. No worries
    He’s helping me understand what I need to do. Hope you get it figured out.

3. The v1's use the samsung lm561c diode and the v2's use the samsung 301b diode which is newer and about 5-8% more efficient in output.

The v1's run at a higher voltage. Close to 36 volts at their peak current of 2000mA. The v2's run at a reduced forward voltage. Approx 33 volts.

That is not the driver you want to use. It's way too large for one. 13.8amps x 120 volts = 1,650 watt driver.
    Usually really cheap drivers like that are also very low in efficiency. Is it 82% efficient? Most of the cheaper ones are around that range. That means it wastes 18% of the power it puts out.

If you want a cheap driver use the meanwell LRS-350-36. In order for it to work on v2 diodes you'll have to adjust the voltage down a little. Those actually put out close to 38 volts with the dimmer maxed sometimes. The meanwell LRS driver is almost 90% efficient so much better then many of the other cheaper ones out there.

Cheaper drivers like that won't give you real dimming capability and they aren't water or high humidity resistant like the HLG series meanwells most people use. The perfect driver for 4 qb132's IMO is the meanwell HLG-320h-c2100a dimmed a little. 4 boards in series on that.

4. It's sort of a general thread about qb wiring. No worries.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. OK Thanks
    But can that be used he has it to give to me for free along with the panels?
    And would one driver meanwell LRS-350-36 run them all wired in parallel?

6. I would not mix them. Hlg site even says don’t, they recommend not even mixing same boards made in different lots. I’d get a driver for the 324 and one for the 288

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. The lrs-350-36 can run 4 qb132's in parallel.

You could run them on the driver you have but you would have no protection from thermal runaway. I've never seen it happen with qb boards but in general with leds they have a design issue where as they heat up they tend to draw more current. This can get in a runaway state until they burn out if you have that much power available. Again, never seen a qb board burn out either but that is a massive driver. It's 4 times the size that you need.

The boards should just draw what they need from it so you would probably be okay to use it. You could possibly use the voltage dimmer on it to limit the current on the boards some. If you reduce it down to 35 volts or so the boards max current at that voltage would go down.

It's probably fine to try it and replace it later if you're not happy.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Thank You
    A frien
    A friend of the guy who has them had another friend who is an electrician used one just like it ans said it worked fine, but I have no way to get in touch with the friend of my friend to see how he did it
    it was something along the line of using an in line meter to turn the voltage down to 35volts in Parallel.

9. Thanks again
    I can PM when I get the panels and supply if that is OK?

• Like Like x 1
  10. You don't even necessarily need a meter. You can turn them on and adjust the voltage down while they are running until they start to flicker or turn off. You can then turn it back up until they smooth back out. That should get you in a good forward voltage range and not be pushing too much voltage making them run hot.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. #31 Tbone Shuffle, Mar 15, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    Yeah, go ahead. I get about 6 pm's a day on average. Helps me stay sharp.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Transition complete, and a battle with aphids ongoing...

Will hold the LED boards in reserve until flower.

What are your thoughts on the PAR34 bulbs during flower, or would a IR/UV addition be better?

Also getting around 2 hrs of pure sunlight early in the morning, shining in the cab. I turn off the house lights and let them soak it up...

Attached Files:

13. More pics

Attached Files:

14. Using the 288s right now, and one of the 324s. When I try to plug the second 324 into the line out multiple outlet the qb flashes and the other kicks off. The power cords are all rated the same. Not sure what’s causing the problem.

The voltage adjustment seems to work fine, but there’s no effect when I try to dial in the intensity on the 320H-54A.

Clues?

15. You'll have to post some pics of how you have the qb324's wired and explain it a little better. The voltage could be a little high when maxed for the correct forward voltage to turn them on at that current range. Not sure. It could also be your wiring. We can nail it down. Just give me more details. Doesn't make much sense that one is running. On the same 320h driver that the second won't turn on with?

16. #36 GrasscityGal, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019

17. #37 GrasscityGal, Mar 19, 2019
    From what I’ve read on hlg. They can be wired in series, The 288 and 324. Sounds like maybe you have them wired in parallel?

18. #39 GrasscityGal, Mar 19, 2019
    I just decided to read back thru ur posts. The answer is no. Whoever told u yes I’d stop taking advice from them lol(idk who and no offense!) The 324 v2 and 288v2 can be ran together. It’s on the pic I first posted. If you was able to put v1 and v2 together I’m sure it would say so in the area of hlg site I SS that pic.

19. In regards to the volt and amp adjusters. I read the other day In a thread someone said that they messed with both and one of them whether turned up or down the light didn’t change(I think amp one). I didn’t attempt to adjust mine when I put them up...