Question about wiring pc fan

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Buds245, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Hello, I have done my research about everything with subject and order a 120mm pc fan ( link will be at bottom ) anyways.. I went to splice the wires to connect to my power source, but the wires have no indicators as to which is which, power and negative , I will also post pics if someone could tell me what the hell to do lol. Also there are two different plug ends, one has 3 wires attached together that I separated, the wires are very very thin and had to fold over and twist for it to be acceptable, and 2 wires that are fairly thicker attached to each other. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. I would run about 3 .volts through it and try out all the combinations. 1 of the fan wires is not used.
    click the link in my signature for a tutorial, it may help

3. I am just going to buy 2 new ones.. No biggie, I also just realized these are "thermistor" , meaning they have heat sensors and run judging by the temp, so I'm just gonna buy some more, plus having no way to judge between 5 wires is very dumb..

4. Before I actually buy this, I'm judging it'll be fine to use, in the pics of it you can see they designate which wire is which, red black and yellow, what would yellow be?

5. Radio hack sells a steel blade 120 mill fan that runs on 110. Think they are like $30 but they kick ass and easy to wire. Put in a pot and you can control the speed

6. That's what I would do, One of the wires is for the RPM sensor on the computer

Also, you should be able to defeat the "thermistor" just jump it out, No Need to buy more fams :)

7. Sounds great just it's very sggrivating , I have no idea what is what, and am terrified of getting zapped or sparking, and the wiring is so thin and flimsy , don't know if I use the 2 wired one or the 3, they each had different ends on each, I'm guessing 2 prong and 3 prong idk I'm confused if anyone could shed some light would be great

8. Aggravating*

9. I also wouldn't want a fire hazard or anything, I have no idea what the chances are I'm a noob with wiring and stuff, sketches me out idk why haha

10. Another thing, how would I run 3 volts thru it? I just have a spliced ac adaptor

11. This is a "low volt" fan (most likely 12V) imposable to get shocked (look at the output rating on the ac adapter)

He is telling you to use 3 volts because that is enough to get the fan moving to see if you are on the right 2 wires without zapping it

If you don't care about hurting the fan (if you don't know how to rig up 3 volts using 2 AA batts and some tape) then just touch the wires for a split second to see if the fan starts (also once figured make sure the fan is turning in the direction that the blades are designed to turn to pump air, if not switch them)

If you are already frustrated over this small thing later when the real problems happen then what?

12. Very true, got pretty worked up and almost ordered 2 80mm fans 30CFM rather than get the 120s to work at 74cfm

13. Update.. I tried one combination but the fan put a cloud of smoke off.. Did I fry it?

14. Most likely you fried it, smoke coming out of electronics generally isn't a good thing, how many volts were you running through it?

15. Well I didn't know how to do the 3 volt battery thing they said so I kept trying different combinations with the power supply so 12v..

16. Anyways, will this do the job? It is a fairly small box 1x2x2

17. To do the 3v thing you'll just have to get two double AA's and tape em together, then touch the wires on the ends of the battery and it should make the fan run at a very low speed but you'll still be able to test it and whatnot, and to answer you're question on that box fan that looks good just search around for the cheapest price lol, gotta save every penny these days.

18. I hear ya man lol, can't beat buy one get one free fans