Question about under current DWC

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Clidefr0g, Mar 30, 2012.

1. A few questions actually :)

A: Is this considered one of the best methods of hydro? i cant seem to find a better one.

B: Whats the best way to keep the proper nutrient solution? is it necessary for daily maintenance or do i just let the ppm drop during the week?

C: When adding nutrients to the res what is the best way? I keep getting the feeling that adding nutrients at the res will somehow overpower the first plants in the system since the nutrients will be super concentrated in the first buckets for a short period of time.

If this isnt one of the best ways to hydro would you mind telling me what you think is? im looking for best available system atm!

2. [quote name='"Clidefr0g"']A few questions actually :)

A: Is this considered one of the best methods of hydro? i cant seem to find a better one.

B: Whats the best way to keep the proper nutrient solution? is it necessary for daily maintenance or do i just let the ppm drop during the week?

C: When adding nutrients to the res what is the best way? I keep getting the feeling that adding nutrients at the res will somehow overpower the first plants in the system since the nutrients will be super concentrated in the first buckets for a short period of time.

If this isnt one of the best ways to hydro would you mind telling me what you think is? im looking for best available system atm![/quote]

Best system all depends on what you're working with as far as space, $$, time, stealth needs, experience etc so a lil more info is needed...

The best way to keep the nutes is in the original bottles and I keep them in the dark. Yes the ppm's will change. You monitor and adjust as needed.

When adding nutes, mix them with water first then add to the system. Be sure to mix them in the order recommended by the manufacture.

3. Space is not unlimited, but decent size, enough for any setup to be efficient.

$$ is not really a factor, i know what most things cost, and i should have
    enough for basically anything necessary.

stealth is unimportant besides a carbon filter that will be installed.

Personal experience is lacking, but i do have an unlimited resource called the internet, and 90 years growing experience worth of trusted friends.

4. if possible yes mix your nutes in a separate bucket/res and change in the new mix.. in a system such as the under current it doesnt seem.. and nor have i ever experienced issues with plant shock based on a single minute or 2 of root exposure to a concentrated mix like you speak of.. I wouldnt stress this.

My personal method is to never add water or nutrients back into the res, but completely change my water every 7 days.

IMO re-adding nutrients only doubles salt content in the res based on the fact there are contents that the plant doesnt take up/will take a longer time to absorb, so by re adding nutes you also re ad these contents which are mostly salts.

not to mention most nutrients these days contain ph buffers, so by re adding nutes you only screw up your original mix and buffer, add on a stale improperly maintained res and you run a very high chance of ph swing.

hope this helped!