question about the sun and flowering

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by lerner, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Even the sun produces different color temperatures at different times of the year. The white hot sun of the summer is not the same as the orangish sun of fall and winter. This autumn sun is most closely replicated by a 2700K bulb.

Good luck.

2. not to be a ass, but do you have some type of source i can look at?

3. not to be an ass but...

Let me google that for you

4. #5 lerner, Jan 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2010
    I searched google already, but couldent find anything confirming that the kelvin of the sun changed according to seasons

5. As winter approaches the sun moves lower on the horizon (OK, technically the Earth's equator moves away from the angle of the sun not the other way around), and so the light has to filter through more atmosphere to reach us, that changes the overall light color -- same reason the sunrise and sunset is reddish-orange.

6. The kelvin of the sun doesn't change. It produces the entire light spectrum from infrared to ultraviolet all the time. What reaches the ground (and your plants) is what matters and varies, as toasty noted, by how much atmosphere the sunlight travels through. Air molecules scatter blue light which is why the sky is blue.

Spring and early Summer: sun passes almost directly overhead - longer days and less atmosphere to scatter blue light = veg. phase. Late summer and fall: sun does not rise far off the horizon - shorter days and more atmosphere to scatter blue light = flowering phase.

Indoor growers duplicate nature by selecting the lights with the color temperature that the plant experiences outdoors: 6500K for veg, 2700K for flowering and by adjusting the light schedule appropriately.

7. That is one the best things I have seen in a while.

8. okay thats a better explaination thank you for the clarification.