Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

question about strains high in CBD

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by RudimentaryPeni, Oct 24, 2014.

1.  Ive been researching strains high in CBD. What Ive stumbled upon is a whole different category of cannabis strains that advertise high CBD, low THC. Some of the ratios are pretty surprising.

Ive searched before making the topic and coundnt find info on my specific question. One thing that stuck out almost instantly was the price tag for said seeds. It seems that the standard pricing for these genetics are in the $80-200 for one order of seeds(usually 10).

So the question is, Cant you just grow any strain out and flower past its usual to get all amber trichomes? Even if there would be more THC present than say a strain specifically bred to have a low THC count, in theory, doesn't flowering longer "degrade" THC into CBD?

I ask because it seems interesting that if that were the case and you could do just that, why exactly the big price tag on strains high in CBD to begin with? I understand the genetics play a huge role in getting something super specific in this case, but if you can get a "high CBD/low THC" strain just by late flowering, whats the big difference? I know i possibly sound really ignorant here, but I'm truly curious and kinda confused since finding this information. Is it the time saver it gives by having a reg flower time? Or is there something extremely favorable in a low THC strain that is unreproducible in "regular" strains? Or is it all name hype so you can sell it at some "special" price that justifys the initial seed cost?

To go along with this mystery, i stumbled upon a writeup explaining how strains that are well known for high CBD such as Charlottes web was more of a marketing gimmick because it gives the idea that its the only CBD rich strain on the market available. The interesting thing was the writer of the article's big point was that regular industrial hemp had all the CBD one would need because of its already naturally low THC count...Any info on this is greatly appreciated

2. Try Rick Simpson oil.

3. What I seem to have concluded, is that later harvest times allow the production of CBN, which has similarities to CBD, but CBD content in cannabis is all controlled by genetics. If anyone has some light to shed on all this and could confirm this would be great.

If CBD is all genetically controlled, where exactly did these high CBD genetics come from? I know until recently it was generally known for a strain to typically contain 1-2% CBD whereas now you have such high numbers. Anyone have any info on the genetics that were bred to start the ball rolling on these high CBD strains?

4. THC degrades into CBN, not CBD. So flowering late to get more amber strains is not the same as a high CBD strain.
    CBD came from hemp strains which are low in THC.