Question about strains from different seed banks

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Ciliatus, Mar 31, 2010.

1. I was curious about buying a well known strain like Northern Lights or White Widow from different seed banks. Are these generally the same genetics or are they "their own" version? Is an AK-47 from Sensi basically the same as one from another bank?

2. seed banks, and breeders are 2 different people. usually anyways. a seedbank may sell seeds from many many different breeders. basically yes, an AK seed from sensi is for the most part the same as from nirvana or wherever..... but there will be some differences.

3. no it's not bro...

it makes a huge difference... serious seed's ak 47 is the real deal, everyone elses is bullshit...bottom line...serious seed's are the original breeder's of true AK 47...sensi has the f1 of it...then crossed it with a indica dom strain...called it ak 47...just like everyone else tried to do...
    many of the strain's calling them selves ak 47 are actually a ak 47 f1 hybrid that is usualy crossed with some kind of afghanica geno or indica dom geno to create a different yield or thc/crystal production...
    than the original ak 47...wich when you buy from serious seed's...your getting a p1 parent plant with perfect breeding genetic's...
    mr. nice seed's hold's the real WW...greenhouse just bought neville's f1 seed's(who used to own greenhouse) arjan now own's greenhouse, and selling a WW hybrid or f1...not the real WW...to find it buy the f1 from mr. nice seed's, that's the original breeder of the real true WW and the closest your going to get to finding the true genes...

mandala, tga, next gen, vsc, serious, mr. nice, soma, barney's, DNA...these are all very very good breeder's with top quality genetic's and stable hybrid's...they alway's get my money...
    it makes a huge difference in genetic's vs the breeder...

4. great in-depth answer.:wave:

i guess what i was trying to relay is that if you purchase w.w. from 2 different seed breeders, one isnt going to be 6 foot tall and ice covered "small buds" while the other is a foot tall with purple buds the size of a 2 liter jug..... the general characteristics are there..... and general is ........ well,.... a pretty general term:D

5. Thanks guys. That being said, what about Norther Lights, specifically? Any better than others or that are highly recommended?

6. #6 custom280Z, Mar 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2010
    GOTCHA! i get what ur sayin...i'm a breeder, i breed my own crazy shit sometimes...been growing forever! lol
    it took me a long time to figure out and learn the different geno's and pheno's of all these seed bank's/breeder's...hell after 25 years i'm still learning all the time...
    hybrid's are the future and are selling like crazy these day's...so tracking down the solid p1 genes are hard to do anymore...but yes in this aspect your right bro...

in general, they carry the same trait's...a AK 47 is still, almost alway's indica dom and close to the parent plant for sure...unless crossed with a extreme sativa or hybrid...
    most of the time your getting an f1 or f2 of the original as well...so ya in general they are the same...but some breeder's have problem's stablizing the genes, giving off several variation's and different flowering times all from the same seeed stock...
    i've seen this too....just bad breeding habit's on there part thats all...
    if your really looking for the true AK 47...go to serious seed's or my money is on attitude...or single seed centre.....by a few fem's of AK 47 from the serious line .....
    they are the award winning variety and super stable...i grew the reg 12 pack years ago and there was little variation at all. great genes , but the fem version from serious is supposed to be the most stable...waiting on them now ;)

7. northern light's: one of my fav's ...also a bad mther f'kr...i believe sensi seed bank has the original...i'm almost 100% sure they are the babies daddy....lol i'll follow up to be sure but it's sensi or serious one of the two...and all skunk strain's are f1's or hybrid's as well...there is no true skunk #1 anymore but these two companies have some of the best ..

8. THAT answer deserves a spot in the hall of fame.

----and IMHO there is no "real" N.L. left either.... i think it got lost in time with the skunk. but thats just my opinion.... and hell...... do i REALLY remember what the n.l. was like in the early 80's?? or do i just think i do?? hehe. i know it was one of the very first stabilized strains, but i think the cross-fad unstabilized them and an original was never maintained .... just an old stoners thoughts. DEF no proof to back that up.

9. agree 100%

i havent had a harvest without some sort of major n.l. lines in them for YEARS.... and with all the crazy-crosses out there now, and the ones i have created myself, the only thing you can count on is good smoke, and thats all that matters. sometimes you got color, sometimes you got immense ice, sometimes you got baseball bat buds.......... but its always fun to watch, fun to grow, and GREAT smoke.

10. #10 skunkybudluver, Mar 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2010
    Any idea on where Nirvana gets their Northern Light from? I looked on their site but I don't see them listing a breeder.

Update: Just looked on some other seed bank sites like Dr. Chronic and they have a Nirvana WW so I guess they are doing their own thing.