Question about starting seeds

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by despirit, Apr 2, 2009.

1. In OldPork's outdoor grow guide, when he talks about starting the seeds in Solo cups with 50/50 organic potting soil/peat moss + 15% worm castings. Do I add water to mix before filling the cups, or just mist after planting the seed?

Thanks.

2. id say just mist every day. the mix should be a lil moist but not sopping wet. if the soil looks too dry, just spray it with some water

3. Just water it down and let it drain for 15 minutes before planting in the soil. Works for both germing in the soil and planting a germed seed. 1/4" below the soil either way.

4. Gotcha. thanks.

One other thing. I've been reading some threads and noticed some people are saying peat moss isn't the best thing to start seeds with. Would top soil be better to mix with the organic potting soil versus the peat moss?

5. Honestly this is one of the easiest plants to grow...the other being grass! You can literally get them to grow by putting them in the ground a few cm, and water it a bit, and violia! Its called weed for a reason it grows so easy, and is very resiliant.

Sorry I can't awnser the soil questions...never been big on dirt farming...maybe Ill start a small oitdoor crop in Oahu when I get out there...dunno though!
    Best of luck!

6. To be quite honest, either will do. My sprouts are growing nicely in a mix of peat and topsoil, with some wormcasts and a little crushed eggshell.

7. Yep water and drain first, then plant the seed...that's what the directions on my Promix seeding formula say. Less chance of disturbing the location and depth of the seed. Then use a spray bottle to water when the top layer dries out. You may wanna consider distilled water too at first.

8. Thanks for the replies.

I'll be starting my grow soon so I'll try to contribute to the grow journal section when I get it going.