Question about soil

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by MrBudTender, May 2, 2013.

1. Hi, i was planning on growing a couple plants and using organic soil mix.
    The mix i chose is this:http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/1116550-easy-organic-soil-mix-beginners.html

Now the question i have is what are te measurements? He says 1/2 of peat, worm castings, perlite. But 1/2
    (If measuring in a 5 gal bucket) would be 2.5 gal each. But that would only work if i was using a 7.5 gal pot. Im planning on using a 3 gal bucket for each plant. What would the measurments be for the peat,perlite&wormcastings? Also the lime and dry nutes. I have everythog except the right measurments.

2. [quote name='"MrBudTender"']Hi, i was planning on growing a couple plants and using organic soil mix.
    The mix i chose is this:http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/1116550-easy-organic-soil-mix-beginners.html

Now the question i have is what are te measurements? He says 1/2 of peat, worm castings, perlite. But 1/2
    (If measuring in a 5 gal bucket) would be 2.5 gal each. But that would only work if i was using a 7.5 gal pot. Im planning on using a 3 gal bucket for each plant. What would the measurments be for the peat,perlite&wormcastings? Also the lime and dry nutes. I have everythog except the right measurments.[/quote]

The formula is written wrong? if u have 3 ingredients, it can't be 1/2,1/2,1/2.
    The formula would be 1/3 peat 1/3 worm castings 1/3 perlite.
    I didn't read the link about the soil so I could totally be wrong here
    But if your using a 3 gal pot, it would be a gallon of each ingredient?

3. #3 thevines2, May 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2013
    no.

its written 1/2 part, 5 gallon bucket as 1 part, meaning 1/2 gal(aka 2.5 gal) of each

but to solve your problem

get a big tote or bin and mix up a few cubic yards(dont skip out on the kelp meal its essential)

fill pots

get all of it moist

let it cook

etc

4. [quote name='"weedinmegarden"']

The formula is written wrong? if u have 3 ingredients, it can't be 1/2,1/2,1/2.
    The formula would be 1/3 peat 1/3 worm castings 1/3 perlite.
    I didn't read the link about the soil so I could totally be wrong here
    But if your using a 3 gal pot, it would be a gallon of each ingredient?[/quote]

No your right 1-1-1 is right ratio for the base soil. Any good humus source will work if you don't have worm castings.

5. #5 Doc-J, May 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 2, 2013
    [quote name='"thevines2"']

no.

its written 1/2 part, 5 gallon bucket as 1 part, meaning 1/2 gal(aka 2.5 gal) of each

but to solve your problem

get a big tote or bin and mix up a few cubic yards

fill pots

get all of it moist

let it cook

etc[/quote]

Actually both are saying the exactly same thing. Using 2.5g of each of three components is the same as saying 1/3 of each, or a ratio of 1-1-1.

So to mix three gallons total you use one gallon of each. No need to over complicate things mixing up a cubic foot of soil just to avoid 4th grade math.

6. #6 thevines2, May 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2013
    i was saying no to saying it was written wrong :smoke:

ok 4th grade math

you go thru and measure out what 1 cup to 7.5gal would be to 3 gal

and 1.5 cup to 7.5gal would be to 3 gal

and 4 cups as well

since you obv forgot about amendments that he asked about.

i dont feel like doing that math for someone atm

and i said mix a few cubic yards but even 2-3 cubic ft is fine.

not mixing a bunch at once is pointless

it gets better with age.

7. Ah, alright thanks!