Question about seedlings under a MH??

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by NCDROGRO, Apr 26, 2009.

1. #1 NCDROGRO, Apr 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2009
    Well I've been reading peoples posts, & I'm worried about putting my seedlings under a MH as I don't want to burn them I know it's best to start seedlings under floro's for the 1st few weeks but with the $ I'm spending on the mh/hps light I don't really want to have to buy some floro lights as well.

If I were to spend the money & buy say 10 - 26W cfls or like this 4' Jump Start T5 System http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/lights2.shtml or this http://www.htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=54208 would that be enough light for like 5-6 seedlings for the 1st week or 2 then put under MH? would this be a better idea I'm just reading posts were people say that a MH is too much for the 1st few weeks of seedling growth & people end up killing there plants, I'd rather not spend the money but if I'm better off doing so I will, thanks!

2. Either one of those systems will help you get your seedlings off the ground and into veg.....that's a good price for both systems as well. The nice thing about T-5's is that you can keep them right on top of the seedlings (2-3"away) without burning them. They also promote more dense, compact growth.

If you keep your MH far enough away however, you shouldn't have any problem with burning. Just keep the seedlings around the perimeter of the light footprint at first, and gradually move them under the light. If you notice ANY stretching, you may have to go with the fluorescents.

3. I hear people talking about this a lot in here and hear lots of different opinions......
    so here is mine.I have grown outside lots of times from the day I put the seed in the ground and have found full sun to be great for seedlings they come up fast and grow huge fast.Mh if not so close it will burn the leaves off will work great do it all the time myself.The main advantage of flouresent over this is heat and energy savings while they are so small.....why use 400 watts or better when under 100 will do.I use flouros when I am starting fresh but if I have a veg room going then they start in there off to the side or in between the big girls.

4. Thanks alot guys! I just want to make sure I don't burn my seedlings especially when I'm buying a few hundred dollars worth of seeds which I'm sure you can understand I just want to make sure I do this right the first go around.

So that 2nd T5 light system I listed which is 2 - 4ft 54W 10,000 lumens will be enough light for the first 2-3 weeks then I can move them under the MH & I should have no problem with heat being a issue to the seedling correct? And your saying if I choose to just put the seedlings under the MH keep them around the perimeter of the light keep the light about 2 1/2 - 3ft above seedlings & gradually move them under the light & lower the light a little gradually as they veg?

5. That second light is probably a better deal...2 4' lights instead of one. You can build a hanger like the one on the first system with pvc pipe and a couple of tees and a few elbows, and you have a frame to hang your light from. And yes......that's plenty of light to get them off to a healthy start.

As for the MH........yes.

6. Thanks a bunch CD, for your help the 2 bulb T5 actually comes with hangers so I got it made I guess then save me some $ and not totally tap my wallet :D TY!

7. #7 breedtheweed, Apr 26, 2009
    nothing at all wrong with plain old flouresent shop lights for starting plants off cheap and do a great job.I like the ones with the chains so I can hang em.

Yeah just keep the mh a little higher than for established plants to start with if thats how you go.I never have a problem with them higher light levels make em stocky and prevents stretch and falling over due to weak stems.

8. Yup my thoughts exactly & thats about the cheapest 4ft 2 bulb one I've found of course it's not the exact one I'd like but as long as it does the job & gets them off to a healthy start for the first 2-3 weeks until the babys go under MH its fine by me ;)

9. #10 NCDROGRO, Apr 26, 2009
    nice ty Stang. so I guess whatever I decide if I put my seedlings under MH after sprouting 3 ft would be about right and just check them often throughout the day for signs of heat stress & temp, then raise accordingly.

I'll still probably end up going with the T5s for the 1st week or 2 just to be safe plus I'll get good use out of having the T5 floros.

10. Yeah I always go with the best light I have ....which is just 400 watters but got 4 of em going.
    I always had the best looking seedlings when they came up right out there in the sun and the heat and uv help keep the bad bad shit away ,Damping off ect. mold and fungus dont like bright light.Now that I have moved indoors I have a dedicated room with ac for em and adjust the lights on chains,I keep a string 14 inches long on each hood so my light is nevr closer than that but thats after they are a foot or better tall a 2 1/2 foot distance would be more likley for seed sprouting and first three sets of leaves.