Question about seed choice

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Deleted member 638051, Apr 4, 2018.

1. I want sativa, or sativa dominant. I have been growing an unknown bagseed strain that finishes late Oct. to mid Nov. to get amber trichs. I found seeds online advertised 70% sativa and 30% indica. It also says "early finishing sativa". My question is, how do they get an early finishing sativa? Is it the result of indica cross, or do they breed some ruderals into it to get it to finish sooner?

Now I'll share my reason for asking.
    I've been using supplemental light in winter months to keep the plants vegging until I'm ready to flower. Been using the same method for 4 years now. Got one of these new 'store bought' seeds going, and the thing is growing pistils already. If this plant is in flower, then it screws up my current project. There's not going to be enough time to flower out now before the days get too long. Unless...... somehow it's possible for some strains to grow pistils while in veg? But it looks like it flowering.

2. yes lots of strains grow pistils while in veg. Many plants that reach a certain maturity level , as in age, can have pistils and hairs indefinitely while remaining in veg. They are called pre flowers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. as far as early finishing sativas go, there are many types that are fully sativa in genetic makeup that will finish far earlier and flower substantially shorter than the typical long flowering hazes and such. Take Durban Poison for example. It is solely a landrace sativa that has a much shorter flowering period and can finish fully in areas of canada. Breeders often breed long flowering sativa strains with either shorter flowering sativas or more commonly indicas in order to reduce the flowering time while still maintaining some of the desirable sativa phenotypic expressions(for example that "up" or "head high" associated with sativas. Many strains, which have mixed genetics (are not a true ibl) can have a number of different phenotypes, some of which may have longer or shorter flowering times. This is why it is best to plant a number of different seeds and choose the phenotype which best exhibits the characteristics that you are looking for. For example a strain that is listed as a fast flowering sativa (if it is not stabilized) may have phenotypes that are both faster finishing and slower ones as well. So by planting and choosing the one that finishes best in the end, you can have what you desire. Breeders that have more stabilized strains, have grown the strain through many generations, and selected the qualities they are after. When you plant those seeds, there may be very little, if not no, variation in characteristics from plant to plant. Hope that wasnt too confusing LOL

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. [​IMG]
    CannaBiogen Destroyer

Indeed breeders for years have been diluting sativa strains

by mixing in any ol indica at hand the most popular this end of the woods is Afgan#1

and yes it makes the sativa more tolerant to cold and allows it to be harvested earlier

in truth unless you live in the tropics haawai or some place hot

you will always struggle with a true blue sativa

hence the mix and the name 'Hybrid'

one sativa I reccomend is Destroyer

doing well 3 years in a row back east of course ..lol

good luck

5. I've read highland sativa varieties flower quickly. I also purchased some female seeds C-99 that is supposed to have a little autoflower genetics bred in.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

6. These are the pistils I'm talking about.
    Sorry, I should have included pictures in the first place.
    P1010001.JPG P1010002.JPG P1010003.JPG P1030003 (2).JPG

• Like Like x 2
  7. Yea she's in flower, but very very pretty

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Those are in full flower mode.
    Didn't you say you give them supplemental lighting?
    I'm thinking autoflower if they are getting extra light.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Well, ya that's why I was wondering how they make an early finishing sativa. What is it crossed with to finish early?
    Maybe this strain just needs more light than what I've been growing? Doesn't really act like the auto I just grew. And these little buds don't seem to be getting along very fast.
    Sure looks like flower to me. You think, if I shut the light off, it'll have time to finish before reveg? Awful close now.