Question about roots and bags

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by igotcaughtfml, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Hey gc
    I found myself a male earlier so I took it out and looked at the root system. He was in a 2 gallon grow bag and the roots had taken up the whole bag. I've got 4 other plants about the same size in the same bags and I'm going to be putting them into flowering within the week and I was wondering if I should get bigger bags. Do flowering plants need more root area or should I be ok with the 2 gallons?

2. 2 gallons is pretty small. It also depends how large you want them to get.

I don't know if I'm making this up, but I think it's roughly a foot of height per gallon or soil. It's rough, but I think it's about right.

3. Thanks for the reply...
    I don't want them to get much bigger but I know they stretch during flowering. Didn't know if letting the roots crowd during flowering would create a problem?

4. Anyone one else?
    Should I go with 3 gallon or 5 gallon bags? Or should I not worry about it?

5. The more root space the better. That being said, it all goes with what you have to work with. Yes 95% percent of strains will stretch during the flowering phase, some alot and some not so much, so stretch depends on strain. Also If you have to room to allow you to do 5 gallons, then by all means, your plants wont hate you for it, thats for sure. I use 5 gallon buckets for me medical indoor, but 3 gallon pots should be fine. You can grow a plant in 3 oz of soil, so it just depends on what you wanna do, and if your budget allows for it. Hope this helps - Karrson

6. [quote name='"Karrson"']The more root space the better. That being said, it all goes with what you have to work with. Yes 95% percent of strains will stretch during the flowering phase, some alot and some not so much, so stretch depends on strain. Also If you have to room to allow you to do 5 gallons, then by all means, your plants wont hate you for it, thats for sure. I use 5 gallon buckets for me medical indoor, but 3 gallon pots should be fine. You can grow a plant in 3 oz of soil, so it just depends on what you wanna do, and if your budget allows for it. Hope this helps - Karrson [/quote]

Agreed, they'll appreciate it. I plan on finishing with a 3 gallon. But it's all on what you can do with the situation man. Good luck

7. Thanks guys yea I figured more room couldn't help...check out my sig for the grow and you'll know what I'm workin with haha