Question about quality of water

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by envygp, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Hey,

I have a question regarding quality of water. Was about to start a small CFL indoor grow for some personal in East Africa.

I tested the PH of the water which comes from the tap(which comes from a well). The PH is around 8.0. I have some PH up and down which I will use to control this.

I wouldn't say that this water is the cleanest by any means though.

How important is it to filter the water before watering the plants? I mean, the water is not safe to drink so would this transfer to the plant? Would it be sufficient with a normal Brita type filter? Perhaps a reverse osmosis filter? Or even just boiling the water and then letting it settle and using this once it cools down? Is any of this necessary?

Thanks guys.

2. i think the safer way to go is to boil the water but unless this water is holding something possibly life threatening diseases or bacteria or virals then you should be OK.To be on the safer side i would suggest boiling down the water and try to keep the PH at 5.5 to 6.5.If the pH drops to between 5 to 3 with temperatures above 26 degrees Celsius fungal diseases become a threat to the plant. carbon is best at removing chlorine and other contaminants but the drawback is that it promotes the growth of bacteria (Expecting your talking about activated carbon). reverse osmosisare known to remove heavy metals and chemicals like fluoride, arsenic, nitrates, and lead but is not as good at bacteria and viruses

3. you should just boil it down and put it through a reverse osmosis filter and that should be good. boil it on high and make sure it is bubbling allot or else you run the risk of some bacterias surviving. so the boiling for removal of germs and the reverse osmosis for heavier materials.​

4. Wow. Thank you VERY much. I really appreciate the reply.
    I was thinking of filtering it and then boiling it, but I think that may be overkill so I may just boil the water and use that based on your advice.
    It's consistently above 30 degrees here and VERY humid. Looking forward to starting this small grow.

5. Makes sense.
    I was being cheap by avoiding purchasing the reverse osmosis system, but I may just get that now.

6. you said your water is not clean by any means. so I'm assuming that it is contaminated with possibly deadly bacterial matter and viruses. If you can't get the reverse osmosis filters then you should be generally safe but just make sure you have to boil the water because the way you described it it sounds pretty bad.

7. the osmosis filter is only used for removing heavier materials, do you have that in your water or is it just bacteria?

8. That was probably a bad choice of words on my part.
    I mean, I live in Africa so it's definitely not the best water. But I see people drink it all the time. I also see people get sick all the time too though. I'm just paranoid when it comes to water. But I'm glad what you said jives with what I was initially thinking. There's only one way to truly know though and that will be when I start everything. I'll give you an update in a few weeks :D thx

9. No problem, love helping