Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Question about quality of bud

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by PhillyOMgirl, Mar 28, 2017.

1. OK, so unfortunately I haven't had consistent access to really great bud for a while. The last few months whenever I smoke, whether it's out of a bowl or a bong or a joint, I get an immediate burning in my throat, and sometimes I'll even have trouble breathing and have to take my inhaler, which has not ever happened in the past (I've been smoking for 13 years). Recently my boyfriend brought me what appears to be some really high quality stuff from his area and I have NONE of the symptoms from smoking this bud as I do from the other stuff I've been getting around here. This clearly has something to do with the quality of the weed, but my question is, does anyone know what it is about this lower quality stuff that is making my throat hurt and chest close up?

2. I imagine it could be from a number of things... like not flushing the plants after using synthetic nutrients just off the top of my head...
    was the ash a normal grey-ish color or was it more black looking? did it burn properly or did it snap, crackle & pop?
    i dunno really... fast-drying after harvest would cause it to be harsh...
    just stick with the good stuff from now on. lol.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ash is black and there have been a couple of bags where i've gotten the snap, crackle & pop when I light it, is that from the dryness? I thought I was crazy when it happened because I'd never seen it before.

4. If the ash is black and it cracks and pops and it is a harsh smoke, then the grower didn't flush the nutrients and let the plant rid itself of excess nitrogen. Crackle and pop are signs of nitrogen and phosphorous.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yes. It was poorly grown shwag. If you come to California, you will smoke the sweetest, healthiest quality weed in the nation. Our dispensaries are overflowing....

6. this is a complete myth.. flushing plants does absolutely nothing to remove any chemicals you may have used growing said plant, science doesn't work that way..
    firstly, there's immobile and mobile elements.. immobile means that once these nutrients are absorbed by the roots, a plant can't at that time move them around to use in an area that may need them, making them immobile. so, dumping water through a medium such as soil will do absolutely nada to remove an element that is immobile from the plant.
    secondly, plants don't store nutrients in the buds we smoke..so regardless of whether or not an element is mobile or immobile, it doesn't effect the taste of the buds we smoke as elements aren't stored in buds once again..

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. my guess was is an improper cure, or no cure at all.. the curing process is what converts sugars and starches in the plant.. have you ever poured sugar over an open flame? want to guess what happens? it sparks and pops, just like what people claim comes from unflushed weed.. greedy cash croppers usually are in too much of a rush to turn a profit, so they usually either rush or skip the cure all together, and leave sugar and starches in the buds, which would have been converted in a proper cure.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I agree with most of what you say here. Flushing for anyone that grow in soiless mediums, is watering with plain water to remove any salt buildup in said medium. This is stripping any of the residual nutrients out of the medium, leaving the plant to use up any thing left in itself. The leaves will start to turn yellow as it looses the chlorophyll due to lack of nitrogen making for a smoother smoke. Some growers use a product called phosphoload. This makes some giant hard ass buds but if its not flushed out at the end of the grow, it will make your ash black. It is a product I never would use. It has been tied to a bunch of nasty shit.

9. just a quick question, but how does yellow leaves make for a smoother smoke? i don't know about you, but i try to remove as many leaves as i can before drying and curing my bud, and well before i attempt to smoke it.. i just don't understand how leaves that i don't smoke have any effect on the taste of the buds that i smoke..

10. Ok bud, you're cool.

11. #11 HarveyHarvester, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    flushing is highly debatable... i always do it. sometimes with plain ph'd water last two weeks and sometimes i use flushing stuff designed to create lockout conditions allowing no nutrient uptake the last week.
    snap, crackle, pop along with black ash is imo, indicative of chemical/synthetic nutrients and the plant(s) were not flushed properly.
    this is all speculation of course. i have never had that happen but have read where others have and this was determined to be the cause, correct or otherwise.

yellowing leaves are normal late in flower.
    I try to harvest before the sugar leaves begin to yellow/brown as it just ain't cosmetically appealing.

*edit: flushing... the nutrients i use recommend it, so i do it.

12. They didn't cure it properly. Turning the clorophyl[likely cause for headache] to convert to an ammonia gas n give u all ur nice smells n terps :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. sorry bro but i always quick-dry a sample just before harvest.. no cure at that point and it don't pop and create black ash. it is harsh and don't taste good but i am checking for potency and understand why it tastes bad at that point.

14. Yes. Uncured improperly dried cannabis will have that grassy clorophyl taste n sometimes crackle n ALWAYS produce darker ash. Ideally ur spent bowls ash should look super white on good, well cured sticky. Heres my 3x4x6 2 tier scrog 20170328_223038.jpg ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. #15 HarveyHarvester, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    nice job!
    what is the second screen for?
    I actually had a dream about that months ago, one of those rare ones i remember when i woke up...
    I thought about it a long time and could not think of a purpose for it.

*edit: i suppose you know that carbon filter should be at the highest point in the grow space and assume you have a good reason for it being on the floor.

• Like Like x 1