Question about Powdery Mildew on buds that are about to be harvested

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by whatuthinkin, Apr 20, 2010.

1. I am posting this here instead of sick plants because I already know what my problem is and how to fix it. I am needing to know if the buds are trash if they have PM on them. I did 2 separate treatments to try and kill the PM and it helped but I am now finding out that almost any bud that is shaded has PM on it. This is only on 1/2 of my crop. It is on my unknown Purple strain. It is not affecting my White Castle at all. I just started flushing and will harvest the Purple in about a week or so. I am needing to know if the PM will die off when the buds dry and there is no more moisture left. I the buds are unsmokable would I be able to do like a QWISO hash or cannabutter? I would think the QWISO would kill off the PM. Again any insight into this issue would be greatly helpfull. For more details about the ongoing issue please visit my journal. The link is the first link in my sig.

2. once you see powdery mildew on your plant, it will never get rid of it. all you can do is treat the symptoms and spray with sm-90/penetrator/neem oil mixture during veg and into second week of flower. this spray helps a lot, but you cant do anything about your plants if they are infested during harvest. Make sure you dry them in a REALLY dry spot so it doesnt get much worse.....

3. #3 pinkpipe, Apr 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2010
    I don't recommend smoking any weed with mildew on it. The spores can be inhaled and cause at best lung irritation, at worst they can make you very ill.

4. #4 MrFantastic, Apr 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2010
    i had this problem too. They are no good to smoke. tastes terrible.

What you do is - harvest & trim-dry like normal away from any uncontaminated weed. place it in a brown paper bag . heat your oven to 225* and place bag in oven for 10-13 minutes. this kills any living spores. From there you make "honey oil" . or butane oil. You can use a stainless steel turkey baster. Pack it full of ground up bud. Place a couple coffee filters over large opening. Then put a large can of the purest butane fuel you can find into the small opening while holding it over a glass bowl. DO THIS OUTSIDE AWAY FROM ANY FLAMES OR SPARKS. tube will get very colld while doing this so use heavy gloves. Place this bowl into another filled with very hot to boiling water to help evaperate butane away from pure oil. heat your boiling water well away from product bowl. made great oil !
    i can usually put about an ounce of bud into a tube. 1 large can & 1 ounce = about 1 TBL spoon oil

http://forum.grasscity.com/harvesti...-3-nice-oz-ended-powder-mildew-honey-oil.html heres a link to my pevious powder mildew thread

5. Very good information. Thank you. Taken into consideration. I am actually very familiar with making honey oil. I have been making it for about 2 years now and even have a review of my home made oil on MarijuanaReviews.com. If you check my #2 journal I show how I make it and the final result after using trim from my first plant.

6. ^This.

I would not use bud that has been mildewed or has been anywhere near mildew for smoking or for producing hash, oil, or anything else. Inhaling dead mold spores is still bad for you.

Sorry, but your health has to come first, trash that grow.

7. Whatever . i had about a 1/4 lb that had it on it last summer and oiled it. was some of the best oil i ever made. Filled a shot glass 2/3rd the way. No bad taste or side effects

8. I agree with Toasty on this guys...you may not know yet about the side effects...
    bottom line is it will harm you... Not worth the chance if you ask me..

sorry to here this mate.... sucks.....

airflow man... its got to be there to kep away from this ...