Question About Pollination

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by kahgknow, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Hey everyone, I was wondering about a hermaphrodite plant I have. She was a she most of her time in flower and is almost all retracted and amber hairs. Her trichomes are clear/cloudy with a tiny hint of amber just coming through. What I want to know is if the hairs can still be pollinated after they have retracted ? I am trying to let her finish up as not too many bananas have popped out but I also don't want seeds in my trees. Thanks in advance.

2. its too late for her. seeds need five weeks to grow.

Twas Ever Thus!

• Like Like x 1
  3. No that's a good thing. I have been paying attention cause I was going to chop her down if necessary, but I noticed she was not producing seeds so I figured the bananas weren't an issue, but it doesn't seem like she is pushing anymore out. I think it was too cold and we got the temperature back up now.

4. A few bananas does not mean your plant is a hermie. Your plant naturally wants to keep the genetics going and throws out bananas to pollenate a little. Best part is if you either save the pollen or you do find a couple ripe seeds, they will be female. If your plant is covered in pollen sacks, identical to the male plant, then you have a hermie. Common misconception. I love when my plants throw out a couple nanners! Free female seeds and can experiment with your own crosses!

• Like Like x 1
  5. ^^Got it head on,it's called rodelization,it's the plants last ditch effort to continue the breed before senescence, or final death.

knives heated dull red
    release sweet smoky nectar
    I am lifted high

6. Killer I am positive that is how I got the seeds I got. It was a bagseed and then I grew it and got the seeds. I wish seed saving was that easy with veggies. Anyways the plants were getting too cold in there as soon as I bumped the heat up and it has been 73-88 instead of 61-79 and now the few bananas that were showing have stopped maturing they never opened or anything and no more are showing up. It has been like this for a week or so now. Interesting though because only 3 of 5 plants produced bananas the earliest into flower produced the most she/he got chopped and eaten up by me.

Currently I have a strain that is male and it is going to be my first experiment with breeding. This male seems to be legit as well, it took quite a while to show sex (2 + months), it has some nice tight internodal spacing, and he didn't grow super quick like most males tend to do. As long as he doesn't flower in the veg room I will be isolating him in a plastic container to collect pollen. The strain is Pandoras Box x Jack the Ripper, I call it Jack In The Box (not my seeds just everyone always only said Pandoras Box and I wanted both strains to be recognized). I will be hopefully pollinating a heavy duty fruity (though she may finish too soon) and some white widow and blue dream, maybe a jillybean.

7. "I wish seed saving was that easy with veggies"

What do you mean?! You open the fruit, take out the seeds, clean them, put in an envelope, and store them in a drawer or the fridge... No that's not easy.... Haha

Every time I get a green pepper from the store that I like, I do this and every spring I plant them. The only veggie seeds I ever bought was my first time growing veggies. Now I have a huge bag full of seeds I've been saving for everything I've liked over the years. I even found a cotton field and stopped to pick a cotton ball and kept the seeds. That plant is growing right now! I guess you could say I kind of have a green thumb haha! I've been saving seeds from hot peppers and I make a huge batch of the most amazing hot sauce every year!

I always save the pollen from a good male if I can do so without pollinating my girls. Sometimes it's hard to isolate them without a dedicated room for males. If there are characteristics from your male that you like, then do it! Nothing is more rewarding than making your own cross and it actually turning out awesome.

If the female you want to pollenate is going to be done soon, just clone it and try next round. Collect and freeze the pollen. Then you will have extra to use for back crossing too.

8. I don't have to clean my cannabis seeds I can just take them out of the bud and pop em in some soil. That's easy. Anyways, this male does have nice characteristics indeed. And to top it off we grew it out once as a female already and she was bomb. So I do know it is some potent stuff already, it was my first organic lady too she was amazing. As for the lady in flower we have one in veg but this next round of plants going to the flower room is full so it would be quite a while till she got in there probably. But I do want to try and collect/save as much pollen as possible. I know a little goes a long way with this stuff too.