Question about pHx honeycomb perc

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by kliff2004, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Hey guys. I like the perc of course, its.........pretty.

But when I watch videos of it, just um, doesnt seem to fully function. well heres one that shows how well the perc works.

Now is it just me, or does it seem like this could have been designed better to make the perc fully function?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfREeIuZ294&feature=related]YouTube - pHx Trinity Honeycomb[/ame]

Or does it not matter that they dont fully function?

2. Looks like it worked fine once he set it down, but when he was busy shaking the camera with one hand and holding the bong with the other, not so much.

3. hmmmm. If thast what happening, then cool.

Im trying to see it better for myself, but the resolution isnt high enough for me to see the stream of air leaving the stem and entering which friggen comb. -.-

4. Just look around, I guarantee you can find an HD video of someone ripping a PHx... probably right here on this very site :)

5. There is definitely too much water in there. Take it down till its right at the honeycomb, but not at all past and it should diffuse a bit better. You could even have it a bit lower than that.

6. #6 xsploit, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2011
    Like i keep saying and with that exact video, you look around and 95% of the vids, the water hits the first part on the honeycomb, so it does NOT functional properly. They need a 18.8 stem first of all. That might fix the problem. I've even mentioned this on the phx facebook. People agreed and i just commented like last week how, there are way over priced and people agreed, now i just went to check there page, says ADD AS FRIEND. hahah shows you right there. They can't take it how it is.
    Now i add phx to my list of boycott, TORO, illy, hitman, phx and who ever else doesn't support boromarket.

7. Exactly what this guy said. He's actually getting less diffusion and more drag because of the water being too high. When the bubbles have to travel farther to get out of the water they actually tend to group up and make larger bubbles.

What happens before it even begins to diffuse is that the water level is pulled up so air can be pulled under it from the fixed stem. So with the water just at the honeycomb, it'll rise a bit above that when you take a hit. The guy in that video doesn't understand that there is a liquid displacement caused by the volume of air that must be drawn under the perc in order for it to move the air through the chamber.

Those things look pretty, but I have this gut feeling that the honeycomb actually adds a lot of drag. In theory all those holes should aid in the flow as the added diameter of each hole is much greater than the diameter of the stem itself. But because of water tension, which is the same property that makes disc diffusers work, this thing will have drag. Disc diffusers rely on water tension as well, but not through a hundred tiny holes, it's usually through 3-5 larger holes/slits.

But the functionality of the honeycomb should work great if the water is level is set correctly.

8. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ae5cF-oMIQ]YouTube - Phx HD honeycomb with dome perc[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKuj0G_oTDk]YouTube - PHx Honeycomb Disc rip[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZklaYihpCs]YouTube - MrBonghitz503's phx honey comb HD[/ame]
    I could keep posting more and more videos, having a bit of water above the hc shouldn't make that much diffewrence at all, which is doesn't

9. Having the water slightly above the HC, seems to be correct. However, if you look at the OP's video and the last video you post it seems that it give an less even diffusion.

In the second video of the post above mine, you can see that the holes closest to the stem, and farthest do the most work, which makes it pretty even. But in that last video having that much water seems to make the holes closest to the stem do all the work.

And based upon how well the water stays above the HC, after hitting that to me indicates too much water tension that may lead to drag. I've seen the water do that in pillars and disc diffused percs, but it usually doesn't stay up there so well. Usually it'll stay up there for a moment before it begins to drain back down.

And now that I've seen these with the correct amount of water I'm not impressed at all. If you already have some nice glass, and just want to add the honeycomb to the collection I'd get this. The honeycomb is beautiful, but I'd rather get something like a Migrant triple disc mini for a bit cheaper.

10. The water needs to be like an eighth of an inch above the honeycomb itself, sad how many people post vids of there piece without proper water levels

11. Most of the time it's just way too high. I'd prefer to see more people underfilling that over filling because overfilling just adds drag. At least underfilling you're still losing on diffusion, but overfilling you lose diffusion and add drag.

12. meh for the price those things dont function the way they should.

13. Call him and tell him he need to improve his tubes.

14. Im actually getting one of these.

15. thinkin about it now myself too ^

16. It's a nice piece, I got one a few weeks ago and it's my daily driver. I like it because it looks modest, but it's one of the smoothest bongs I've hit. And I've had many a bong.

pros:kind of stays clean, smooth clean rip, you can make bowls last a while, you can still rip that entire bowl in one rip

cons:Fixed stem, 14.4 mil, some people hit it at a slant, even after constant bashing not to.

17. How is a fixed stem a con.

18. Thats what I wanted to know. Fixed stems are awesome, the way that the percs are able to come off the fixed stem as perfectly vertical or horizontal is what makes it so great. Also Fixed stems seem to clear faster IMO.

19. its a terrible design. it should vent teh smoke in teh center under teh honeycomb. instead its only on one side.

to remedy this the honeycomb should be on a 45* angle inside the tube

20. you could slightly make it a dome and make it 18.8 and i'm sure everything will be fixed.