question about painting my grow room

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by lexmark7200, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Hey I have been slow to complete my grow room but my plants are about 6 iches big and i need to paint my dry wall flat white. Is it safe to paint the room with my plants at a close proximity? Will the paints fumes hurt the plants or the soil?

2. I would definitely do it with the plants out of the room. Spills, Splatter, Fumes, cant help.
    Wont hurt to move them for a few hours while you paint, use a fan to dry quicker ect.

3. Yeah I used some quick dry flat white spray paint from walmart which did the trick.. dried
    in about fifteen minutes flat.

You are best off buying some nice flat white mylar though.

~Experimentalist

4. AFAIK mylar does not come in any kind of variety i would consider flat white. in fact it is really shiny, almost mirror-like.

but yes that would work. i don't much care for mylar as it's not easy to clean and dirty mylar means not reflective mylar. i'd stick with the paint.

5. the white mylar is called poly

6. I don't really see how fumes will hurt the plants. Splatters could though. I think you'd be safe covering the plants with some painters plastic, painting, and removing the plastic as long as you were quick with the painting.

7. I definitely think that regular paint fumes could be very harmful to your plants. Most paints contain VOC's (Volatile Organic Compounds) http://www.epa.gov/iaq/voc.html

The good news is that most paint shops now carry Non-VOC paints. They cost a little more but will keep you and your plants much healthier.

8. Yea, I didn't even realize that. I have pets so I've always gotten paints without VOCs. Good point.

9. no no no. that's poly film (short for Polyethylene film). that is not mylar