Question about organic soil and plant food...

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by TheGoodDank, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Miracle grow is not generally held in high regard in growing cannabis.

If your options are limited due to expense, I would use a dry nutrient like espoma's tone line fertilizers. And a local organic soil mix, much preferred those without a big nutrient charge, a bag of earth worm castings and or a bag of compost. Mix this all up as per direction and add a bag of large chunk perlite to keep the mix light and airy.

If money is not a concern, or at least less of one, I guess it's a whole new ball game......MIW

2. Miracle grow organic potting soil, to me is annoying to deal with. That large chunks of bark and decomposing material distribute the water poorly and as a result you get a poorer root system.

Jiffy makes an organic seed starting mix. It has less starting nutrients than the Organic MG potting soil, and its base is peat/vermiculite instead of chunks of bark and twigs. Its roughly the same price and sold in the same locations as MG Organic

As for the blood meal I haven't used it, but as far as I know its a good source of organic nutrients. Read up more on organic nutrients, as I can't really tell ya much about them.

3. Thanks for the help, I'll probably end up with the Jiffy organic mix.

4. The miracle grow blood meal will work fine. It's an organic blood meal, regardless of the brand.

The organic choice soil isn't a terrible soil. Miracle grow gets tons of bad rep when it comes to growing, but I think a lot of that is just repetition of what people have read. Organic choice has worked fine for me in my veggie garden. However, I opted towards Pro-Mix Ultimate Organic for growing marijuana, as it has a more desirable pH. The quality of Miracle Grow also depends on the application in which it used.

5. The garden soil is intended to be mixed into your native soil for outdoor applications. Get the organic potting mix instead. Also, the MG organic bone meal should be available to you, and has more to offer than blood meal from a pot growing stance. Be ready for a gnat infestation.

6. There are reasons people don't use MG in growing cannabis. I should know as I started out growing outdoors with MG soil and nutrients, back in the day. I could triple my yields using higher quality soil. MG nutrient charges are time released, the trouble is you don't know how much or when they will release.

And like suggested using organic blood meal from MG would be OK, except blood meal on it's own leaves you way short on a well rounded NPK. If you use MG blood meal you still need, bone meal and kelp meal, or something along those lines. A good choice would be espoma's tone fertilizer. There are several varieties like garden tone, flower tone, bio tone and so on, there all good. It is reasponably priced, it is well rounded with meals included, it is easy to mix, and it works very well. And don't forget humus, you could use a bag of EWC and or compost, up to 25%, for a variety of reasons......MIW

7. Quick question, where do can you purchase all of these soils and fertilizers you guys speak of? Home Depot, Lowe's? I am all for getting better soil and fertilizer than MG but I just don't know where to buy it, I've looked for Fox Farm brands at Home Depot and Lowe's.

8. I buy what I can in bulk from farm or feed stores, some in, ahem, bows head in shame, hydro shops, and hard to find things on the net. Try googling organic and your town's name to find organic sources locally. You might find organic groups or co-ops if your lucky, and don't always think MJ first, it's a big world out there......MIW

9. Thank you for the advice