Question about mounting Magnetic MH/ HPS ballasts

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by crazyc123, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Question about mounting Magnetic MH/ HPS ballasts

i have several brand new ballasts that im hanging and im worried about the heat, and i know heat rises so i was planning on mounting them high up, but they are really heavy and i have to mount them to something study, so i was figuring that i could mount them to the ceiling support 2x10 studs. i have some pictures, but was worried about the heat, is it safe to mount them to the wood, i mean i know they get warm, but i shouldnt have any issues right ?

also the ballasts say "this side up" so im assuming they have to be mounted perpendicular

i posted several pictures, so let me know what you think

any ideas, suggestions, warning, etc. would be greatly appreciated

Attached Files:

2. still no replies

3. No, they should get hot enough to ignite the wood, it takes several hundred degrees before that happens.

I wanted to mount my digital ballast, but wanted to be sure they had air flow all the way around for better cooling. I grabbed a couple of spacers and bolts from home depot and mounted my ballast to a board, then mounted the board to my wall.

post-845574-0-57682000-1444433361.jpg

post-845574-0-82835600-1444433322.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  4. [​IMG]
    The other trouble that location might cause is the heat build up may cause the internal thermal relay to trip in the ballasts.. Mid way on a wall is a better location with more mid range air temps and better circulation..
    A long lights on run with the vents off will show if it's going to trip and shut down..
    BNW

• Like Like x 1
  5. looks tight, maybe a few cheap fans to keep those temps down - I keep a small 4" on my digital phantom 2 ballast that don't need it, but she run's cool now and for many years to come.