Question about MH bulb

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by bgibs, Apr 16, 2016.

1. So I just plugged in my mh bulb with my dimable ballast and when I licked my finger and touched the bulb it sizzled. Is the bulb supposed to get that hot or is something wrong? Also when I would switch my ballast I did not notice a change in dimness right away or at all for that matter but I only had it plugged in for about 2 minutes.

2. yes it's supposed to get hot

3. you shouldn't touch the bulb, the oils on your skin might make it burst.

• Like Like x 1
  4. You are right but the whole ballast thing when it's dimmed is it noticeable? Or does it take time for it to dim. I have a fan I will be cooling with as well but no cool tube. Is a cool tube necessary?

5. it is needed if you can't get your temps below 80 with the light on for 16 hours in my opinion. when i dim mine you can see it dim pretty much immediately. if your in a room you might not need a air cooled hood if your in a box or a tent and using hid you almost certainly will need an air cooled hood.

6. May be different with brands of lights, my 400 watt shows when I dim it down, one things for sure though; your plants will notice the difference.

Sent from my LGMS345 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  7. I have a 400 cfm fan to cool my hood but I was going to run it on low because my tent is not 4 x 2 x 5

8. I have a 400 cfm fan to cool my hood but I was going to run it on low because my tent is not 4 x 2 x 5

9. It's the Apollo brand. I think my ballast may be busted then which is shitty

10. Same here, you want to cycle the air once per minute unless you need more to keep it cool. If you have bends in your ducting double what you think you need to cycle once per minute. Works for me, i lay no claims to perfection! :smoke:

11. i use apollo, it has a three year warranty. i love the first one just got a second.