Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Question about medical marijuana growing in Cali under obama

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by billyx3, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Hi, I've got a question about growing medical marijuana now that Obama has stopped funding the DEA raids on medical dispensaries and has now allowed people under states allowing medical marijuana usage to use legally without worries about federal law.

I understood before that medical marijuana was legal under state law but you could still be prosecuted under federal law and your medical license would be completely invalid, is this now completely impossible?

I ask this because now I plan on finally getting my medical license and growing marijuana, maybe a couple large outdoor plants. If my neighbor were to spot this and tip off the police, would a medical marijuana license keep them from prosecuting me under any law?

Now, I don't have a terminal illness or a serious condition where medical marijuana is absolutely necessary, but I do plan on using it for serious case of insomnia (as serious as it can get, my mom allowed me to quit going to school sophomore year in high school to go to online school because my sleep was so erratic, but I want to go to a real university soon and I despise pills such as seroquel) and also for a mood stabilizer for manic depression. Would the fact that I don't have a medical license for chronic pain or a serious illness like multiple sclerosis make my license any less valid or make them suspicious I am somehow cheating the system when actually I am not?

I guess what I am asking, does having a medical marijuana license give me nothing to worry about when growing? I really can't afford to be buying marijuana from dispensaries for every day sleep medication, but if it comes to that I guess I would have no choice.

Thanks to anybody who reads this and responds!

2. My guess is that your CHRONIC insomnia is well documented with your doctor.

The good news is that insomnia is a viable reason to qualify you for MMJ.

So go to your doctor and tell him you want to try the MMJ Way, unless hes a total moron he'll recognize your not scamming anyone and then you will have a license to smoke/grow.

Problem Solved! Good Luck!

3. I live down South and can't help with a CA specific question, but omerta is almost always the best policy with growing. Silence is golden, whether you have a card or not.

4. #4 dangreen, Apr 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2009
    Hey
    I don't know the exact laws for MMJ in California. In Oregon I can grow up to 6 plant's over 12 inches, and also allowed to have up to 2 pounds on me at a time. But the state can do nothing to prosecute you, only way of having problems is with DEA or Fed's. But you still need to be careful I recommend contacting a lawyer to find out more about the laws. It dosent matter what you get your MMJ card for its all the same once you get it. And in California they basically hand them out on every street corner. So I wouldnt be worried about not quilifying.
    When I got my card the doctor told me about some of the laws but recommended a lawyer. Because there are still a lot of loopholes still in the system, and you need to be careful not to cross them.

Hope all works out good luck with your card. :hello:

Oh yea even though Obama said raids would be stopped on Dispensaries, not more then 2 days later one was raiding for "not complying with state & federal law" according to the DEA.

5. From what I read that is directly stating dispensaries are not immune. It seems a little grey on whether or not dispensaries are safe if within state laws. Doesn't mention patients though. More info is needed for sure.

6. it sucks but that now means everyone