Question about MA weed law

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by MistaMaryJ, Mar 22, 2011.

1. I was issued a citation for possession under one ounce last october. I appealed the citation and I have a court date but I'm only 17 and my parents aren't letting me go to court. I understand that this weed law is not enforceable but I'm wondering if that applies to me. I read that if you appeal it you might have to pay the fine.. and I'm not sure if there are extra circumstances since I am still a minor. Does anybody know anything about this? I really don't want to throw down 100 dollars on this fine if I don't have to

2. The marijuana law enacted in 2008 does, in fact, apply to you. Although any reasonable person would instruct you to contact a lawyer, the violation you committed is a civil offense, and therefore I would tell you to go to court and either defend yourself, or admit guilt. Either way, if convicted, your punishment would be to go to a drug diversion program, or to pay up to a $1000 fine. No criminal record would be established under simple possession.

Your parents are not required to go to court with you. Go to court, pay the fine, and get on with your life. Be glad that you don't live in ~35ish states that haven't decriminalized marijuana.

But if you're really serious about clearing the charge, like I would be, I'd be going down the list of possible options on where the police officer missteped, or if there were any other ways that would get the judge to dismiss the case, or for the DA to recommend dismissing the case (very unlikely with the DA). The only reasoning behind this would be if you have any FAFSA stipulations, which require you haven't been convicted of a drug offense in order to obtain financial aid. If that fails, ask the judge if you can be charged with a different crime that carries a similar penalty, such as a public nuisance offense. Just hope that you have a good judge.

3. Just remember when you turn 18 and get a citation don't pay it, there's nothing they can do if you don't pay it and its awesome take full advantage of it.