Question about lighting! Please help!

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by wrestlir1139, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Ok, I am working with a small space about 2'X2.3'X2.5'. I just want to grow one plant at a time. Is this a good light to just grow one plant?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160218904345&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=006

Its a 150 WATT HIGH PRESSURE SODIUM FLOODLIGHT WITH LAMP.

Here are some info on the light:

• DIMENSIONS: 9 INCHES, HIGH, 6 1/2 INCHES WIDE, AND 6 1/2 INCHES DEPTH.
    • ENERGY EFFICIENT: SAVES $100 PER YEAR IN ELECTRICITY COMPARED TO THE SAME LEVEL OF LIGHT PRODUCED INCANDESCENT.
    • CONSTRUCTION: UNIT IS FULLY GASKETED AND SEALED. DIE CAST ALUMINUM HOUSING WITH A BRONZE POWDER COAT FINISH.
    • FEFLECTOR: ALUMINUM, MULTI-FACETED REFLECTOR LENS FOR MAXIMUM LIGHT OUTPUT.
    • BALLAST: 120 VOLT NORMAL POWER FACTOR REACTOR.
    • LENS: THERMAL SHOCK AND IMPACT-RESISTANT TEMPER GLASS.
    • LAMP: 150 WATT S-55 MEDIUM BASE CLEAR LAMP INCLUDED.
    • LAMP OUTPUT: 16000 LUMENS.
    • LAMP COLOR RENDITION: 22 CRI
    • INSTALLATION: UNIT CAN BE EASILY MOUNTED. ADJUSTABLE THEADED KNUCKLE FIT 1/2" NPS COVER EASY AIMING.
    • ONE YEAR WARRANTY.
    • TYPICAL MOUNTING HEIGHT: 8 TO 18 FEET.
    Would this be all that I would need for one plant, or would I need other lights as well? Thanks!

2. I think that HID lamp will be too much for your grow space. It's really small. With only 2.5 feet of vertical space a lot of that will be taken up by your pots and the grow light. Not to mention you need to have some distance between your plants and the light. I would suggest maybe a T5 flouro setup. It will produce less heat and might free up some space.

3. Thank you for the suggestion. Yea I know my grow space is tiny but it's the only space I can grow. I am going to do low stress training since my space is small. If I got the T-5 setup would I also need to purchase cfl lights or is that all I need? Or can I just buy cfl lights instead of a t-5? Thanks!

4. Some people use CFL's all the way through veg to flower. You can do that. You can also use the T5 setup only or you could supplement with CFL's if you really wanted to but the T5's alone should be ok. I'm sure you know that most people prefer HID lighting for flowering but you can flower using T5's or CFL's.

5. Thanks! Yea I am probably going to buy a t5 and maybe like 4 23watt cfls cause they are really cheap...I would keep it like that during vegging, but during flowering, I don't know if I should keep all of them, take out the cfls or take out the t5?

Thank you for the help!