Question about landrace

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by Deleted member 638051, Oct 23, 2018.

1. I am interested in landrace sativa.
    Now, assuming I can even get true landrace from another land somewhere far away, and assuming I successfully grow to harvest.... how will the final product be affected by things like soil mix, climate difference, minerals found in the water, and so on?

Will it still come out the same stuff, but only difference being growth vigor and potency?
    What, or will anything change? Will my only focus be to grow a pretty plant?

My heart is set on doing this anyways, but I'm just wondering what other have for input. What can I expect?

2. its called acclimatization and happens every time you plant a seed

it 'adapts' to the local growing situation

water mineral and sun times and volume etc

I've grown mostly sativas these last 10?years and it a whole new ballgame

simply google sativa landraces

you will be more than satisfied

imo: Red Point from Columbia (punto rojo?) called locally

but sats do need an extra 2-3 weeks to finish

check ICMAG

good luck

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. #3 Deleted member 638051, Oct 24, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2018
    If you smoked the Red Point that you grew in your backyard today, then smoked the Red Point that actually grew in Columbia tomorrow, would you know the difference?
    (considering soil mix, climate, sun exposure, etc)
    I get that the plant can adapt to survive, but will it be the same smoke in the end?

4. I make a big point of annoying my buddies who I invite for a toke to compare for exactly that reason

just recently I compared my own northern lights to that of my 3 buddies

who were all growing the same strain from different breeders

it was a great toke session ...lol

of the 29 phenos currently listed mine was 'superior ...lol

I would say that ...lol mine being 60% sativa of this well known indica strain ...lol

IMO: the deal really is to try and grow a sativa in the same climate to its natural clime

I believe for this reason its why 'w'e have hybrids in the first place ..lol

cheers/

5. It's long been my unrealized dream to be able to grow an outdoor sativa who's high could match the memories of some extraordinary loose Thai bud from the early eighties - spicy, hash like taste, creeper upbeat high. Or some Oaxacan from the late '70's - warm taste, strong, visual almost psychedelic high.

Picked up a South African Durban Sativa outdoor hybrid about twenty years back. Featured an interesting licorice/anise taste and a high that grabbed on pretty strong after about four tokes. As I remember, it's peak high lasted for around twenty minutes before subsiding..
    This past summer I grew out some third generation in-bred seed. Latest results from the past twenty year outdoor breeding program. Observations are at best, preliminary, after just one season. Plus only two females thus far have been grown out.
    Some phenotype variables. One went purple - intermittent leaf width, distinct concord grape taste, chunky round buds, very tacky resin, strong high - seems to express some of it's past indica hybrid genetics.
    The other's buds stayed a light green color, with distinct thin sativa leafs, thinner sativa-like long buds, rather small, but numerous bracts, solid resin output, and a high that, like it's original Durban Poison, hybrid grandmother, you notice clamps on to your head about four tokes in. It has a delay effect - you notice it within around thirty seconds after the fourth or fifth toke. It holds a peak high for at least a solid forty miutes, then gives way to a sustained feeling of well being. Taste is pleasant - kinda light. The anise taste has been bred out two generations ago. I'm not too big on anise anyway!

I don't know if this helps or not.

• Like Like x 1
  6. deficiencies like iron defs have shown in our sativa from west africa, where the soil is very iron rich. that being said, we have worked out the defs over time, with feeding changes and regular planned diets.

• Informative Informative x 1