Question about HPS heat.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by antarchy, Mar 29, 2006.

1. I have a box that is 4'L 2'W 6'H I was thinking about getting a 400W HPS to use with the florescent lights I already have. My question is what type of heat it puts off. I live in a very hot part of the country and my box is in a barn that is not climate controlled. For example it's supposed to be in the 80's tomorrow. In the middle of summer we get 100+. I have grown outside very successfully despite the heat. So what do yall think should I go with the 400 or get a 250?

2. Well that barn without a light is getting a bit too hot. Adding an hps will only make things worse. I guess if you have grown in that much heat a little hps will not make that much of a difference. You can't find a place to grow inside someplace?

3. Just make sure your grow box gets adequate ventilation and maintains a decent humidity. Try getting a couple of fans.

4. I think you are talking about an oven not a growbox. Either wattage light in an enclosed space will generate noticeable heat. Ventilation under the circumstances you describe won't cut it, blowing around a lot of hot air won't result in cool air. You need an air conditioner or a different location.

You said it's going to be warm there tomorrow, go put a thermometer in the barn and then check it around 3pm to see what your ambient temp is.

For comparison, I live in the South and recently moved my growbox out of an attic. On a sunny day if the outside temp was 70* then the temp in the attic was 90* and inside the box was over 100* (my light is 250w). When it really starts to get hot in a couple of months that will all ratchet up even more, that's why I moved my whole setup into the garage.

So the heat just compounds. Even if you grew successfully in 100* outdoors you could be looking at that resulting in 130* inside your box in the barn.

Sorry, I really think you need a/c or a different location.

5. I agree. Bad location here, sorry man.

6. indeed. If it is that nice out, why not try to grow outdoors?

7. #7 antarchy, Mar 31, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2010
    Thanks guys for the suggestions. I want to grow indoors because I just got a nice hydro setup and you know I can control all elements. I don’t have room for it inside my house unfortunately. Does anyone know if they make mini air conditioners like something that would fit in my box? Oh I think I will run 18/6 and try to run the HPS at night only then switch to fluorescents for the daytime. It just sucks because I built my box got everything ready put four 4 foot fluorescents in the corners and wanted to put a 400w hps hanging from the ceiling. I was thinking about putting a glass sheet between the plants and the light and putting an active intake blowing on the light. But your right I will just be pushing around hot air.

8. #8 antarchy, Apr 1, 2006
    Global warming is a b!tch!

9. #9 chicken, Apr 1, 2006
    im sure theres a room in your house you cann clear out a square to make you a grow area,,,if you put black plastic from floor to cieling,,you basically create your own enviorment inside there,,,good luck....

10. I could but my grandma lives across the street and visits often. I have 3 windows in the barn and I have a few window units (AC) that I think are going up. I also might just grow outside during summer and inside during winter. I just hate growing outside because all these F#cking hunters use our woods to hunt on and I know for a fact the sheriff is an avid hunter. One of those goddamned rednecks shot one of our dogs in the head last summer.

11. This is sort of on subject but on HBO tonight if you have it (I’m watching it now) is a show called assume the position Starring Robert Wuhl. It’s about history and how our perception or acceptance of facts is changed by fiction. I have learned a couple of things already Christopher Columbus didn’t tell the queen of Spain he was going to prove the world was round they actually invented the globe before he even left port. Aristotle figured out the world was round 2000 years before Christopher was even born. Amazing this is a story in every elementary school history book in America.